Subaru WRX Forum banner

Possible Blown Engine: Need Urgent Help

16K views 102 replies 26 participants last post by  vlenhoff 
#1 · (Edited)
...Okay so I stopped at a red light...and didn't even notice that my car turned off until the light was green...no I didn't stall......I couldn't turn my car on...so I called some of my buddies to help me push to a parking lot...as they pushed...I tried to get the car started...it worked after a few tries......when I reved the engine slightly I hear a strong rattle(knocking) on the engine...my friend said that my engine is blown, that its the rods making the noise, that the same thing happened to his civic......I'm not sure if he knew what he was talking about so thats why I come to you guys to help me out...

MOD LIST:
-Blitz DTT DC IV
-Blitz SUS Power Air Filter
-JDM WRX STi Catback Race Exhaust
-F1 Racing Stage 3 Clutch Kit

...I also recently cleaned my MAF Sensor with CRC...and yesterday I was racing my friend for the fun of it...redlined it a few times...hopefully this is enough info...

EDIT: Also the Red Oil Light thingy had been turning on and off a couple of times...I've ignored since it didn't stay on like CEL's do...not sure if that was smart...but yea......and I've also had CEL's that state that I have a cylinder misfire and that there is something wrong with my O2 Sensor......oh and also my battery was really dirty so I disconnected the neg and pos and cleaned it...

~Kano~
[God Bless You]

See less See more
#4 ·
...so what do I do about that??...does it link to my engine problem??...

~Kano~
[God Bless You]

#3 ·
Engine gone poopy.

#5 ·
i'd check to see if you have any oil right now. Looking into the CEL's may have also prevented this. You can't jump from engine not running/noises to blown engine, but its not looking good.

Lack of oil + misfire + redline for fun = blown engine.

#6 ·
...well my oil is low...my friend said I should get thick oil......and I redlined a couple of times accidently...I raced for fun......since my engine is now blown...what are my best inexpensive options??.....and what exactly was damaged in my engines??...was it pistons, rods, ect??......tia (thanks in advance)...

~Kano~
[God Bless You]

#7 ·
the sad hard truth

buy a civic - they're alot cheaper to fix when you ignore CEL's as compared to your impreza

#8 ·
buy a civic - they're alot cheaper to fix when you ignore CEL's as compared to your impreza
...well theres this guy selling a b20 turbo civic that has 400whp for $5,200...but with that money I might as well get myself a new engine, don't you agree??......and plus I'm not really a civic fan...I love my suby...the AWD...the turbo...the sound...the 4 doors...the everythings...my car is my first love, I can't just dump for a civic!!!...I need a surgeon!!...I might take it to a subaru shop...

~Kano~
[God Bless You]

#12 ·
Did your friend crack open the engine or do any kind of work to find this out. Or is he just a masterful enough mechanic to tell you exactly what failed and what has been damaged beyond repair by the sound or your description. This isn't a "replace that one part" kinda thing. its not a headlight. You seriously need to have the entire engine and turbo checked out.

#13 ·
...Well his brother is a mechanic, and he works with on cars with so I hope his educated guesses are correct...but he and his brother are taking a look on the engine tomorrow...hopefully its nothing as serious as replacing my engine/turbo...we'll see...

~Kano~
[God Bless You]

#14 ·
So let me get this straight, you've been staring at a NO OIL PRESSURE light, ignored it, and continued to race?

You just ran your engine out of oil. It's toast. Most are toast the second that light comes on. If you had immediately shut the car off THE FIRST TIME you saw the light you may have had a chance.

I can almost promise you that every bearing in the engine is destroyed, the pistons, rings and cylinders are scuffed up, and the cams are scored. The bushings in the turbo may have also sustained damage.

Moral of the story:

The oil pressure light is not one to ignore. This will be an expensive lesson.

#19 ·
...actually the light didnt stay on so I didn't stare at it...it turned off...and did the turn on/turn off thing a couple(alot lol) of times...I thought it was the ecu acting up since my CEL's that I've gotten remained lit once the engine was on......oh and to add up my idioticies, for my last oil change I bought Redline 75w90ns since this website http://www.flatironstuning.com/shop/pm-677-37-redline-75w90ns-transmission-oil.aspx said that it is "Suited best for 2002+ Subaru models."...and its tranny oil...BUT, my friends dads who is a mechanic (I know, I know) said that I could use it for an oil change (another idiot)......and now I have learned an expensive lesson(s), which is...

-DON'T IGNORE YOUR OIL LIGHT
-DON'T TRUST YOUR FRIENDS MECHANIC DAD
-AND DON'T USE TRANNY OIL FOR AN OIL CHANGE

...expensive lesson learned...

+1

if there is one light that should never be ignored in any car it's the oil light. i learned that before i learned to drive. the oil light is not like a cel and there is no "limp mode" once you run dry.

at this point your best (least expensive) bet may be a salvaged engine. between parts and labor the cost is bound to be high. rebuilding an engine that has run dry could leave you with future issues since undetected damage from hot spots can lead to weaknesses at any friction points in the engine.

as 06PearlWRX suggested, you want a pro to diagnose this and not "someone who knows someone who knows a mechanic's friend".

good luck, that's a sucky thing to have happen and i hope it works out for you.
...I hope I can find a salvaged engine...and STi just had his front and back smashed yesterday...one of the victims was my friends Tib...maybe I can salvage that guys engine......I went along with my friends mechanic dad cuz he's a hellalot cheaper than a pro...but a pro is a pro, and any put it won't go in vain...

Every single vehicle sold in this country (and most others) has an oil warning light. It can signify both low pressure and low oil level. The reason every car has them is that oil is the single most important fluid for your engine PERIOD.

Don't mess with your oil unless you like expensive repairs like the OP learned. Ignore the idiot lights and the car will be sure to show you you're an idiot.
...Me=Idiot...+1...I'm not ignoring lights anymore...I'm shutting off my engine even though there is an angry irish midget mob threatening poisoned 4 leaf clovers running after me...

~Kano~
[God Bless You]

#17 ·
+1

if there is one light that should never be ignored in any car it's the oil light. i learned that before i learned to drive. the oil light is not like a cel and there is no "limp mode" once you run dry.

at this point your best (least expensive) bet may be a salvaged engine. between parts and labor the cost is bound to be high. rebuilding an engine that has run dry could leave you with future issues since undetected damage from hot spots can lead to weaknesses at any friction points in the engine.

as 06PearlWRX suggested, you want a pro to diagnose this and not "someone who knows someone who knows a mechanic's friend".

good luck, that's a sucky thing to have happen and i hope it works out for you.

#20 ·
please for the love of all things bright and beautiful stay away from your "friends dads who is a mechanic". If this is the same guy that told you to put tranny fluid in your engine i would not trust him turning a lug nut.

#23 ·
...I know, I learned it the hard way...now what it seemed inexpensive gave me an expensive consequence...

5w30

:sadwave:
...I know, it says it on the freakin cap...how dumb was I :(...

~Kano~
[God Bless You]

#22 ·
5w30

:sadwave:

#25 ·
WOW..... WOW..... tranny fluid in an engine...... Now that's a good one. :eek:

#26 ·
...I know, I know...tranny oil in the motor is no no...it was just another noob mistake...

~Kano~
[God Bless You]

#33 ·
Since you have a piss on ricers sticker as your avatar, I'm going to safely assume that you will keep your Subaru. Another tidbit, these cars need the oil checked every 1,000 miles as there is usually some oil loss. A couple times I have added a quart to fill it up; although I tend to drive the car in its sweet spot a lot. Good luck.

#34 ·
...yes, I will...I want to......I just mentioned the b20 turbo civic as a last resort...oh wow every 1k...thanks for the top...

~Kano~
[God Bless You]

#37 ·
EDIT: ...I just realized you were a moderator...how sad...moderators should be mature and helpful...like Ray and Trainrex, and others...Micah for moderator ^_^ :cool:...peace, literally...

~Kano~
[God Bless You]

#38 ·
~Kano~
[God Bless You]
Sorry for the OT, but can you please stop posting this in all of your posts? I find it offensive. I don't push my religion on you so please don't push your thoughts on me.

#61 ·
…you’re right…but I just found out that the right oil was in…I was the one confused, which shows my knowledge of car fluids…I asked the mechanic and he said that he put in Royal Purple motor oil……I was just confused…

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah smoked my engine blah blah blah.

~Tom~
[Satan says hi]
…I smell immaturity…

If that isn't your intention then stop typing it. If there really was a God, obviously he hasn't blessed you with brains (or mechanical skills). Seriously, you should probably just sell the car and get a horse and buggy. Putting gear oil in your engine is a new all time low for me. I've never heard of anybody making such a dumb mistake. And I do use coins and bills, I just cross out "God" and put "Satan" in Sharpie.

~Teflon~
[Satan is my lord and protector. All bow in his presence. Pledge allegiance now and you will be spared on Judgement Day. God doesn't exist or why would there be so many stupid people?]

Damn it, I'm going to contribute to getting this thread locked. But I asked nicely to PLEASE stop typing that and he was a total jerk in his response. Oh well, at least I know I'll get the last laugh since I'm not the guy that just lost thousands of $$$ on a blown engine.
…I smell more immaturity…I didn’t work on my car you tard…and motor oil was put in…...we can continue this conversation in pm's if you please...

Sorry what happened to yah man...

I'm just waiting for the thread " I put 5w30 engine oil in my tranny" That will probably make my life.. tranny go booom next..be careful!

goodluck on the new motor. Glad your staying true to SUBYJEW I mean Subaru
…lol that’ll be so funny…lol subyjew…

No way, still not locked? So i'm still confused why you wanna know if the clutch you put in is gonna void the warranty on the engine you just blew?

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

…lol I get you…but I didn’t blow the engine…engine oil was put it…I just got confused…still don’t know what caused the car damage…

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?t=174914

i'll give you all a hint "No Religion"

so whose up for been banned?
...lol not me...so does it mean I can't post any more of my signatures??...if not, don't ban if I put it up accidently...I've been posting that signature in myspace and emails for over a year...this thread seems pointless now since the mechanic told me that he put in the right oil...and I really don't wanna risk being banned soo...lock this thread if you please...any mod...:sadwave:...

~Kano~
[Be Blessed?]...blessed just means to be fortunate...

#45 ·
Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah smoked my engine blah blah blah.

~Tom~
[Satan says hi]

#54 ·
So is the popcorn done yet???:rotfl:

#49 ·
I agree, no religion.

Whats the word for that?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.