Possible Blown Engine: Need Urgent Help - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on Possible Blown Engine: Need Urgent Help within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Not-EWRX I didn't even know there was an oil pressure light Good info none the less. Every ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Not-EWRX View Post
    I didn't even know there was an oil pressure light Good info none the less.
    Every car has some type of warning system.

Drain your oil and start your car. You'll see it.

Or you can just start your car. It's lights every time.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    +1

if there is one light that should never be ignored in any car it's the oil light. i learned that before i learned to drive. the oil light is not like a cel and there is no "limp mode" once you run dry.

at this point your best (least expensive) bet may be a salvaged engine. between parts and labor the cost is bound to be high. rebuilding an engine that has run dry could leave you with future issues since undetected damage from hot spots can lead to weaknesses at any friction points in the engine.

as 06PearlWRX suggested, you want a pro to diagnose this and not "someone who knows someone who knows a mechanic's friend".

good luck, that's a sucky thing to have happen and i hope it works out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Not-EWRX View Post
    I didn't even know there was an oil pressure light Good info none the less.
    Every single vehicle sold in this country (and most others) has an oil warning light. It can signify both low pressure and low oil level. The reason every car has them is that oil is the single most important fluid for your engine PERIOD.

Don't mess with your oil unless you like expensive repairs like the OP learned. Ignore the idiot lights and the car will be sure to show you you're an idiot.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    So let me get this straight, you've been staring at a NO OIL PRESSURE light, ignored it, and continued to race?

You just ran your engine out of oil. It's toast. Most are toast the second that light comes on. If you had immediately shut the car off THE FIRST TIME you saw the light you may have had a chance.

I can almost promise you that every bearing in the engine is destroyed, the pistons, rings and cylinders are scuffed up, and the cams are scored. The bushings in the turbo may have also sustained damage.

Moral of the story:

The oil pressure light is not one to ignore. This will be an expensive lesson.
    ...actually the light didnt stay on so I didn't stare at it...it turned off...and did the turn on/turn off thing a couple(alot lol) of times...I thought it was the ecu acting up since my CEL's that I've gotten remained lit once the engine was on......oh and to add up my idioticies, for my last oil change I bought Redline 75w90ns since this website http://www.flatironstuning.com/shop/...ssion-oil.aspx said that it is "Suited best for 2002+ Subaru models."...and its tranny oil...BUT, my friends dads who is a mechanic (I know, I know) said that I could use it for an oil change (another idiot)......and now I have learned an expensive lesson(s), which is...

-DON'T IGNORE YOUR OIL LIGHT
    -DON'T TRUST YOUR FRIENDS MECHANIC DAD
    -AND DON'T USE TRANNY OIL FOR AN OIL CHANGE

...expensive lesson learned...

Quote Originally Posted by yashuone View Post
    +1

if there is one light that should never be ignored in any car it's the oil light. i learned that before i learned to drive. the oil light is not like a cel and there is no "limp mode" once you run dry.

at this point your best (least expensive) bet may be a salvaged engine. between parts and labor the cost is bound to be high. rebuilding an engine that has run dry could leave you with future issues since undetected damage from hot spots can lead to weaknesses at any friction points in the engine.

as 06PearlWRX suggested, you want a pro to diagnose this and not "someone who knows someone who knows a mechanic's friend".

good luck, that's a sucky thing to have happen and i hope it works out for you.
    ...I hope I can find a salvaged engine...and STi just had his front and back smashed yesterday...one of the victims was my friends Tib...maybe I can salvage that guys engine......I went along with my friends mechanic dad cuz he's a hellalot cheaper than a pro...but a pro is a pro, and any put it won't go in vain...

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Every single vehicle sold in this country (and most others) has an oil warning light. It can signify both low pressure and low oil level. The reason every car has them is that oil is the single most important fluid for your engine PERIOD.

Don't mess with your oil unless you like expensive repairs like the OP learned. Ignore the idiot lights and the car will be sure to show you you're an idiot.
    ...Me=Idiot...+1...I'm not ignoring lights anymore...I'm shutting off my engine even though there is an angry irish midget mob threatening poisoned 4 leaf clovers running after me...

~Kano~
    [God Bless You]
    Custom Catback Race Exhaust (3" piping + 4'5" tip tilted upward left). Blitz SUS Power Air Intake Filter. F1 Racing Stage 3 Clutch Kit. Titanium STi shifter. Blitz Dual Turbo Timer DC IV. ViS Carbon Fiber Hood. Blitz Super Sound Dual Drive BOV.
    Bugeye Mafioso #149
    www.myspace.com/kano07

Banned
    please for the love of all things bright and beautiful stay away from your "friends dads who is a mechanic". If this is the same guy that told you to put tranny fluid in your engine i would not trust him turning a lug nut.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by KanoWRX View Post
    oh and to add up my idioticies, for my last oil change I bought Redline 75w90ns since this website http://www.flatironstuning.com/shop/...ssion-oil.aspx said that it is "Suited best for 2002+ Subaru models."...and its tranny oil...BUT, my friends dads who is a mechanic (I know, I know) said that I could use it for an oil change (another idiot)......and now I have learned an expensive lesson(s), which is...

5w30

Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Quote Originally Posted by yashuone View Post
    please for the love of all things bright and beautiful stay away from your "friends dads who is a mechanic". If this is the same guy that told you to put tranny fluid in your engine i would not trust him turning a lug nut.
    ...I know, I learned it the hard way...now what it seemed inexpensive gave me an expensive consequence...

Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    5w30

...I know, it says it on the freakin cap...how dumb was I ...

~Kano~
    [God Bless You]
    Custom Catback Race Exhaust (3" piping + 4'5" tip tilted upward left). Blitz SUS Power Air Intake Filter. F1 Racing Stage 3 Clutch Kit. Titanium STi shifter. Blitz Dual Turbo Timer DC IV. ViS Carbon Fiber Hood. Blitz Super Sound Dual Drive BOV.
    Bugeye Mafioso #149
    www.myspace.com/kano07

I Support ClubWRX
    OMFG 75w90 in an engine?

God this is too much. Some people shouldn't DIY.

Not gonna be cheap man.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

WOW..... WOW..... tranny fluid in an engine...... Now that's a good one.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

...I know, I know...tranny oil in the motor is no no...it was just another noob mistake...

~Kano~
    [God Bless You]
    Bugeye Mafioso #149
    www.myspace.com/kano07

Banned
    Oh My Sweet Raptor Jeebus...

Kano, stop talking to you friend with the mechanic brother/dad/whatever. That is the 1st and most important thing.

Quote Originally Posted by mbs627 View Post
    Oh My Sweet Raptor Jeebus...

Kano, stop talking to you friend with the mechanic brother/dad/whatever. That is the 1st and most important thing.
    ...amen to that...

~Kano~
    [God Bless You]
    Bugeye Mafioso #149
    www.myspace.com/kano07

. I gotta say i had thought of alot of possibilities of what went wrong. This was not even close to being on that list.
    "90 miles an hour through trees sideways is pretty damn scary" ~Ken Block

Quote Originally Posted by 06PearlWRX View Post
    . I gotta say i had thought of alot of possibilities of what went wrong. This was not even close to being on that list.

~Kano~
    [God Bless You]
    Bugeye Mafioso #149
    www.myspace.com/kano07

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast