Oil Filter Location?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Oil Filter Location? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; 2008 5-door. I mean super duh. Attempted to change the oil+filter(1200 miles) for the first time yesterday... first problem was ...

Oil Filter Location?

2008 5-door. I mean super duh. Attempted to change the oil+filter(1200 miles) for the first time yesterday... first problem was I couldn't pull the car on my ramps, so I pull out the floor jack and put the front on jack stands. I wasn't crazy about the stands(slight slope in driveway so I was a bit hesitant about spending all day underneath...) I couldn't find the filter with much investigation from every angle possible. The owner's manual shows a great picture of its location... too funny its like HERE with zero reference to what's around it... It does tell me to remove the bottom plastic cover(upon reading other posts it sounds like this is optional, but they weren't dealing with an '08) which was a total pain in the ass and didn't get it all the way off because of the weird clips/screws/rivets in the wheel wells. So I did a typical Jiffy Lube Oil + Filter Change(Oil only). A few questions:

1. Where in the hell is the oil filter? I do realize that I am a moron.
    2. What are the wheel well clips that hold the plastic under cover on and how to remove?
    3. Is there a place that sells ramps that the angle is low enough for a WRX or should I build them?
    4. Is there a Hanes or equivalent fairly detailed repair manual out for the '08s? I'm an OK mechanic but leave the heavy stuff to my mechanic so don't need ultra details.
    5. The Tech page on Subaru... you can buy 72 hours of access for 35bucks... can you print the PDFs or are they locked? ( http://techinfo.subaru.com/html/ixSe...reza+%28WRX%29 )

Thanks a ton

Chibu

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Oil Filter location

Hey ive got a 5 door 2008 wrx as well and i had the same problem finding the oil filter. i eventually found it, you have to remove that big plastic guard on the bottom of the car to get to it though. if you were facing the front of the car it is a little left of center and towards the front of the engine.

i know your post was from a while ago but i hope this helps!

Crap.. sounds like changing the oil is going to be a pain in the ass... bummer

What kind of ramps are you using now?
    You can get "Rhino 3000" ramps at just about any autoparts store for less than $40. They are made of very hard plastic, and worked on my 05 WRX just fine.

Sorry I can't help with your other questions.

Welcome to ClubWRX.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.