Half Boost, Help a noob out
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Half Boost, Help a noob out within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am a new subie owner but have driven boosted cars before. I picked up an 02 WRX w/ 73k ...

Half Boost, Help a noob out

I am a new subie owner but have driven boosted cars before. I picked up an 02 WRX w/ 73k on the odometer last week. It drives great, handles well too. I noticed on my way to the office this morning that during times of boost I would get full boost then half then full and within about 2 miles of my office only getting half (gauging this off the stock lamco boost gauge). I need to fuel up and have yet to check the vacume lines but I wanted to see what you guys think. Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

what does the gauge read at? I know it doesnt go all the way up becasue it is measured in a metric rather than psi. Correct me if i am wrong but i think it should only got past the 1 a little bit.
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

gague

Over the weekend it went up to 1 no problem then today only reached .5 in all gears and the rpms raise up fine. I don't think it is an issue with the engine itself just with my boost or lack there of.

Would low fuel levels cause a lack of boost? Is there a gas saver/limp mode?

Well, if you aren't reaching your boost levels, you may be missing the restrictor pill in the vaccum "t" line on the turbo between the wastegate and the soleniod. Its a little metal pill. Do a search for more info on it's exact location
    Movn' on up to an '06 WRX
    Vf-39 all the way!

Love to build 'em, just to ship 'em out and start all over!

I got friends in cyberspace, so I must be cool, right?
    Facebook / Myspace

little pill

I did find that and as that has yet to be touched since I baught the car and for the first 4 days it did reach boost I dont know that that pill would be the case. I will check though.

Quote Originally Posted by tybalt6691 View Post
    I did find that and as that has yet to be touched since I baught the car and for the first 4 days it did reach boost I dont know that that pill would be the case. I will check though.
    As long as its there and in the right place (the stock lines typically have a yellow dot to show where in the line it goes) then its not your issue. Unless someones upgraded the turbo, and had to drill it out to decrease the restrictions. (if they went to an STi turbo it typically has to be drilled out with a #57 drill bit). Just a simple check that I find is the case more times then not went a wrx is bought used...Hope you find the issue!
    Vf-39 all the way!

Facebook / Myspace

well shiot

well ****, its not low fuel, the boost is just not consistant at all. It feels as though the waste gate opens too early and just stays open for some reason. Should I try to unplug the battery for a while?(I dont know what this will do or how it will help)

Check the wastegate for adjustment. Some people mess with the actuator arm. it may just need to be tightened...
    Vf-39 all the way!

Facebook / Myspace

check your wast gate solenoid, it might of went bad leavening u stuck in mechanical boost

Quote Originally Posted by vivalawells View Post
    check your wast gate solenoid, it might of went bad leavening u stuck in mechanical boost
    Hate to hijack
    have the same exact problem. Subaru replaced the turbo thinking that was the problem. didnt help lol.
    so how can i check the waste gate solenoid and what should i look for?
    2002 bugeye - R.I.P
    2008 hatch - Perrin stage 2

what problem are you havening again?

well on a good day my car will boost up fine... however it sometimes only spools up to .04 on my boost gauge and gets stuck there... the turbo feels like it wants to boost more but something is stopping it....also i hear this loud ticking noise at full boost and high rpm

both of those were supposedly supposed to get fixed with a new turbo
    never did

any ideas?
    2002 bugeye - R.I.P

hmm yea thats kinda odd i had a lot of boost problems when i first got my car but all mine where an easy fix, and u said subaru did a turbo swap so u would think they covered it all, i would check the pill in the vacuum line make sure its not blocking the line some how, although they probably changed all that with the turbo swap, do u have a cobb access port?

Nope my car is pretty much bone stock
    id like to take it into the dealer ship but its annoying
    and they will most likely say its fine when they drive it.
    2002 bugeye - R.I.P

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by morphine16
    so how can i check the waste gate solenoid and what should i look for?
    The boost control solenoid is on the left part of the engine bay, behind the stock airbox. There should be some lines coming out from there - follow it back and you should find it.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast