wow backfiring

This is a discussion on wow backfiring within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 2002 wrx wagon. Hks exhaust , hks blow off valve, apex intake. Im back firing alot and ...

wow backfiring

I have a 2002 wrx wagon. Hks exhaust , hks blow off valve, apex intake. Im back firing alot and cant figure out what the problem is. Im also throwin a code when driving long distances and after driving it hard, but after I time it and let it sit over night the code goes away so I have been unable to get it diagnosed. Any advice??

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wagon_bud View Post
    I have a 2002 wrx wagon. Hks exhaust , hks blow off valve, apex intake. Im back firing alot and cant figure out what the problem is. Im also throwin a code when driving long distances and after driving it hard, but after I time it and let it sit over night the code goes away so I have been unable to get it diagnosed. Any advice??
    no Engine management?

also the Blow of valve isnt helping ant teh intake is propboly fouling the MAF
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

you are running very rich having a intake and a blow off valve together without a tune is the worse combo you could ever have even with a tune you will still be running rich. you are spitting fireballs which looks cool and all but thats because your air ratio is not matching up.HURRY UP AND TAKE THE BOV OFF!!! or you will suffer the consquences!!

I just picked this car up. the guy i snagged it from had all the re tune sheets. im boosting 16psi. do you think that has anything to do with it. i know thats alot of boost.

I just picked this car up. the guy i snagged it from had all the re tune sheets. im boosting 16psi. do you think that has anything to do with it. i know thats alot of boost.
    No, it's the BOV - get rid of it or convert the car to MAP

The intake may also be causing issues.

16psi isn't too much if you are tuned for it.

Cobb stage one is 14.7psi, Cobb stage two is 15.8psi.

Also, I'm fairly sure what you are experiencing is "afterfire" not "backfire". There's a big difference.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

what about the intake? and any ideas on why im throwin a code.

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    the code is from the BOV and the Intake, it could be a number of different codes.
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

The only intakes which are known to work well basically mimic the factory placement of the MAF.

Cobb, SPT, APS, K&N - all fine choices.

Take the time to look at those in google, then look at what you have on your car. Notice any similarities between the four above? Notice anything different about yours?

As for your codes, I'd imagine you might be fouling your plugs which could result in misfire codes. Drive to Autozone and get the codes read for free. Or go to walmart and buy a code scanner and then return it when you are done if you don't want it anymore.

Do yourself a favor and either read up on using open source tuning, or buy a Cobb AccessPort and skip alot of reading and learning.

http://plasmatize.com/osecuroms/index.php - go there for opensource

Oh, and if your blind and haven't noticed, there is a link in my sig "for Bugeye owners". Click it, read it, learn it, live it - and if you learn of something better - let me know.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals