02wrx whining/whistling noise from ..alternator?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 02wrx whining/whistling noise from ..alternator? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; my wrx started makin this whining / whistling noise... its coming from around the alternator, whether it could be a ...

02wrx whining/whistling noise from ..alternator?

my wrx started makin this whining / whistling noise... its coming from around the alternator, whether it could be a belt, the alternator it self or something around that area...

anyone any idea?
    the higher i rev the louder it is...

i could make a recording (audio).

Started happening next day i belive after i did my downpipe reinstall...

could i have possibly screwed something up? I mean, i've done the dp like 3 times already since i had to change it back to stock for emissions.

dave
    any input appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

you could take the belt off and spin the alternator by hand, see if it is the beginning stages of seizing up. Probally would be worth your time so it doesnt snap your belt on the road. I'd check that them come back with the results.
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmm06 View Post
    you could take the belt off and spin the alternator by hand, see if it is the beginning stages of seizing up. Probally would be worth your time so it doesnt snap your belt on the road. I'd check that them come back with the results.
    so basically check if the alternator spins freely?
    will do that now.

check your a/c idler pulley. and dont drive it too much or this will happen

SOCAL F4#02 OG member

2002 PSM WRX stage 6
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R

Quote Originally Posted by WRX13oy View Post
    check your a/c idler pulley. and dont drive it too much or this will happen
    a/c idler pulley? would that actually spin faster the higher the rpms? Cause the whining/whistling gets louder w/ higher rpm's.

Gonna go check alternator and a/c pulley.

ya. it spins faster as the engine rpm goes up.
    before it decided to blow up on me, my car sounded like it had a supercharger on it.
    SOCAL F4#02 OG member

2002 PSM WRX stage 6
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R

ya. it spins faster as the engine rpm goes up.
    before it decided to blow up on me, my car sounded like it had a supercharger on it.
    lol thats exactly what mine sounds like lol i like the sound, but i know it aint healthy.

So it might be my a/c idle pulley seizing up? or... thats why the belt messed up?

the bearing in the pulley seized which caused the belt to melt the pulley. it costs about 25 bucks at the dealer for a replacement pulley, but i just took off the belt and the tensioner for now since its winter time
    SOCAL F4#02 OG member

2002 PSM WRX stage 6
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R

the bearing in the pulley seized which caused the belt to melt the pulley. it costs about 25 bucks at the dealer for a replacement pulley, but i just took off the belt and the tensioner for now since its winter time
    the belt goes around 3 pulleys, i can just remove the belt?
    And it seems like the sound is coming from the pulley to the right of the alternator above the a/c pulley.. What is that anyway?

you can take off just the belt.
    before i found out what the problem was, i also thought the sound was comming from between the a/c and alternator, but it turns out the the sound was being transfered from the pulley to the bracket to the engine block. the car drives so much better now
    SOCAL F4#02 OG member

2002 PSM WRX stage 6
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R

you can take off just the belt.
    before i found out what the problem was, i also thought the sound was comming from between the a/c and alternator, but it turns out the the sound was being transfered from the pulley to the bracket to the engine block. the car drives so much better now
    the car drives a lot better after removing the belt? why you say that?

And what is the component to the RIGHT side of the Alternator?

Quote Originally Posted by ezzzey View Post
    the car drives a lot better after removing the belt? why you say that?

And what is the component to the RIGHT side of the Alternator?
    it drives better because that pulley was causing a lot of friction and made my car die or almost die all the time when i stop at a light.
    the component to the right of the alternator is the A/C compressor and to the left is the power steering pump.
    one belt powers the alternator and power steering and the other belt powers the A/C.
    SOCAL F4#02 OG member

2002 PSM WRX stage 6
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R

it drives better because that pulley was causing a lot of friction and made my car die or almost die all the time when i stop at a light.
    the component to the right of the alternator is the A/C compressor and to the left is the power steering pump.
    one belt powers the alternator and power steering and the other belt powers the A/C.
    cool, thanks for the great info, im gonna be taking off my belt after i finish eating, anything ishould know by chance? Seems pretty simple when i looked at it at work.

its not really hard to do. just make sure you loosen the bolt that holds the idler pulley to the bracket before you start cranking on the adjuster bolt. a friend of mine forgot to do that and snapped it
    SOCAL F4#02 OG member

2002 PSM WRX stage 6
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R

its not really hard to do. just make sure you loosen the bolt that holds the idler pulley to the bracket before you start cranking on the adjuster bolt. a friend of mine forgot to do that and snapped it

anyway to test how stiff the belt should be for the alternator ? since i had to remove it to remove the a/c belt.

just made it tight, by eye i guess and feel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast