HELP! got an exhaust ticket...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on HELP! got an exhaust ticket... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; so i got a "modified" exhaust ticket... not necessarily too loud, the cop said but the fact that it's modified... ...

HELP! got an exhaust ticket...

so i got a "modified" exhaust ticket... not necessarily too loud, the cop said but the fact that it's modified...

anyway, i have a court date on the 27th of december. now i'm wondering if i can just swap my hks hi-power exhaust can with my stock one? does the diameters of the hks hi-power mid-pipe and the stock mid-pipe match? or at least at the flanges? this would make my swap so much easier so i can have it written off at CHP...

and plus... u think CHP will notice the differences with the midpipes? thanks!!!

j.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Find out what the ticket means - if it's sound/emissions based.

I doubt having a modified exhaust if it doesn't violate either sound/emissions laws can be grounds for a ticket :shrug:
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

i asked the cop for what... cuz i mentioned to him that my particular exhaust is 50-state legal. he said it doesn't matter. my tickets specifically states "modified exhaust."

actually i got pulled over TWICE. i had to explain to the 2nd cop that i already have a court date set up for my first ticket. and i asked him what was wrong with it. i told him that it's under the 95db limit law in california. and he said the same thing... no matter... as long as it isn't stock, it's modified. and modified = ticket.

yeah... i'm like WTF?!

so at this point my only defense is a document stating that my exhaust is 50-state legal. BUT, that doesn't defend the "modified" part. so i'm sorta stuck just putting back my stock. and since i plan on putting my hks back, i was wondering if i can just short-cut it by just replacing my axle back (muffler), if the diameter and holes line up with stock muffler and hks mid-pipe?

anyone? somebody? please?

What state? Where in it? Talk to legal counsel and have them check up on it, or check up on it yourself. Just being modified isn't (or shouldn't) be illegal... if its just because its modified, sounds like piggy is just anti-tuner.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Jebus View Post
    What state? Where in it? Talk to legal counsel and have them check up on it, or check up on it yourself. Just being modified isn't (or shouldn't) be illegal... if its just because its modified, sounds like piggy is just anti-tuner.

+1

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    IBCalifornia
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

i have never heard of a modified exhaust ticket....
    EVERYONE who needs a new exhaust would have to make due with their broken one to prevent "modifying" their exhaust....so the old one fell off on the highway and got run over and you got a better one...so what!!
    2005 WRX Wagon stg 1 - 3/12 to present
    1996 BMW 328is coupe - 5/11 to present

02 WRX wagon stg 2 - history

WTB: Cobb Accessport ap-sub-001 for 2005 WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpearl3
    actually i got pulled over TWICE. i had to explain to the 2nd cop that i already have a court date set up for my first ticket. and i asked him what was wrong with it. i told him that it's under the 95db limit law in california. and he said the same thing... no matter... as long as it isn't stock, it's modified. and modified = ticket.
    The modified exhaust law should be in place for sound/emissions laws.

Go to court to plead (don't mail it in). When you get there, ask to see the rule (or what the number is so you can look it up yourself), as to how you violated the law - then, have them run a sound/emissions test on it, and prove you're under both legal limits, and then keep evidence of it (to show any future cops that writing a ticket is a waste of time/money). This is a bogus ticket, from a cop who's just mad that you're driving a nicer car than him
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

if you do a search for "decibel reader" you can read all about people before you with this problem...or "exhaust ticket" or "exhaust decivel" its recommended you keep a decibel sound reader in your wrx so when you get pulled over the cop can measure your decibel level...the cop has to go like 20 feet or so behind the car with the reader and then you rev your car to whatever rpm you desire to get a db reading...for me, that'd be like 3k to probably get by safely w/a perrin tbe, i also keep a copy of my emissions paper in my car that states i have proper cats....1 cat is all i need

I Support ClubWRX
    Dude this is easily handled. This is your yearly "we need taxes cause our funding is in the crapper" bs.

What you do:

Put on your stock axle back (takes 10min no biggy).
    Find a cool cop or Police station.
    Drive up and find an officer.
    Show him the ticket and that its a "fix it"
    Point at the stock muffler and say "I took it off." no more no less.
    He'll say either "Ok No problem" and sign it off.
    There might be a $8-$15 sign off charge.

Then mail the whole shootin match into the court with your fee (probably gonna get you for $30)

Chalk it up to experience.

To avoid harassment Jeremy has learned.

1. Never put anything resembling a Fart can on your car.
    2. Angled exhausts "Look modified"
    3. If its shiny it draws attention.
    4. Paint all stainless exhaust pieces with high heat silver cause it "looks stock".
    5. Huge tips (more than 3") look "modified"

This exhaust appears stock to a cop.

and employs all methods above.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

ive got 4inch on mine, i upshift when i pass a cop or take my foot off the gas and go to Neutral for a second or two

when they are behind me i think positive that they dont care and keep moving forward.

a cop saw my car today in the parking lot and admired it as he walked by then he turned around and came into the shop i was in and made small talk with us about random other things

thanks fellas for all the info and responses... really do appreciate it!!!

lol... i noticed only 1 other person is from california... you'd be surprised with what kind and the amount of ridiculous laws we have in this state... ESPECIALLY smog laws - how tight they are...

so 06wrx4me, you said to put back my stock axle back exhaust back on... so does that mean u correctly answered my question that the hks mid-pipe will align (w/ no problems) with my stock muffler/pipe????? that would be friggin awesome!!!

please confirm... (i know i can find out by just doing it... but uh... i'm too lazy... haha)

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpearl3 View Post
    thanks fellas for all the info and responses... really do appreciate it!!!

lol... i noticed only 1 other person is from california... you'd be surprised with what kind and the amount of ridiculous laws we have in this state... ESPECIALLY smog laws - how tight they are...

so 06wrx4me, you said to put back my stock axle back exhaust back on... so does that mean u correctly answered my question that the hks mid-pipe will align (w/ no problems) with my stock muffler/pipe????? that would be friggin awesome!!!

please confirm... (i know i can find out by just doing it... but uh... i'm too lazy... haha)

If this is your system then no I don't think so, youll need to reinstall the stock mid pipe.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Just be careful, it's a federal offense to mess with a catalytic converter. The caveats are if it's damaged or nonfunctioning, but in a state like California I would be even more paranoid. If you do a search you'll find plenty of information on exhaust work and emissions laws for different states.

Oh yeah, my stock axle back wasn't even close to matching my SPT midpipe. Don't know if that's any help, but the flange on the 06 axle back is this wierd angular thing that doesn't fit anything.

yes that is my set-up... and DAMNIT! haha...

well i think i should first go to a sheriff station or other to get my exhaust tested right?

damn this is stupid drama yo!

cops and tickets are like dealin w/ chicks... they ticket you... leave u alone... then a few weeks later u get a notice in the mail... then a few months later gotta go to court to appeal... **** sticks w/ you for almost a year for some stupid **** u did... or nothing stupid at all!

ok i'm done venting...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast