Check engine and overheating

This is a discussion on Check engine and overheating within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok, so I have 106k on my car, it's a 2004. Got the timing belt done at the dealership when ...

Check engine and overheating

Ok, so I have 106k on my car, it's a 2004. Got the timing belt done at the dealership when there was 105k and some change. 3 days after that the check engine light came on. Had them check it at autozone, looks like o2 sensor. Also gas mileage has been dropping like crazy and the only mod I did was a turboxs shorty intake... I'm averaging around 22mpg on highway.. my best was way more than that before.

Talked to the service guy, he said prolly cause the o2 sensor. Went on bosch's website, they recommend they get changed every 100k. So that makes sense, although for both oxygen sensors it's looking like another $300.

other problem, I let the car idle for maybe an hour trying to help a guy that was stuck... this is after the timing belt was done... the engine overheated... that was last sunday... on wednesday I had the car running for 1/2 hour to charge the battery in my project car... same thing... only so I would turn on the heater to bring the temp down, and it went down initially at first, and I took it for a drive for it to cool with air flow, it went down.. then it shot up again in a few seconds...

now I can't even drive the car down the road with out it getting hot, and I don't have heat to even take it out with the heater... like if I have the heater going full blast, it blows cold air...

I'm guessing that the antifreeze might be low and maybe not getting to the heater core? The car has been sitting since wed. so today I'm planning on checking out the antizfreeze levels and topping it off and see if that works to take to the dealership to see if they forgot to put something back in when they did the timing belt and to see if the engine cracked from that, if so, I'm gonna see about them replacing it b/c I didn't have this problem at all before the timing belt...

and I didn't notice my aux fan go on like it normally would...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jogfrogjog View Post
    gas mileage has been dropping like crazy and the only mod I did was a turboxs shorty intake... I'm averaging around 22mpg on highway.. my best was way more than that before.
    When was the last time you cleaned/replaced your air filter? This is often the cause of poor gas mileage.

Talked to the service guy, he said prolly cause the o2 sensor. Went on bosch's website, they recommend they get changed every 100k. So that makes sense, although for both oxygen sensors it's looking like another $300.
    $300/100,000 miles isn't a bad ratio.

I let the car idle for maybe an hour trying to help a guy that was stuck... this is after the timing belt was done... the engine overheated... that was last sunday... on wednesday I had the car running for 1/2 hour to charge the battery in my project car... same thing... only so I would turn on the heater to bring the temp down, and it went down initially at first, and I took it for a drive for it to cool with air flow, it went down.. then it shot up again in a few seconds...
    Yeah, check the coolant level, but no fan sounds more like a bad thermostat. If you top off the coolant make sure to let the engine warm up, then turn it off and let the car sit for 15-20 then recheck the level.

I Support ClubWRX
    The code number of the CEL is much more useful than the "diagnosis" from either the code reader or the guy interpreting the code reader. Was the code PO171, bank 1 lean? If so, yes, it could be your oxygen sensor, but it could also be that you have a vacuum leak or it could be your intake causing the code. Switch the intake back to stock and see if the code goes away.

If you cannot see any coolant leak, it is likely there is air in your coolant system. The dealer needs to burp the system again, since it's also likely they caused the problem when servicing the car (I'm assuming you did a full service with the timing belt).

By the way, if the fans never come on it's possible they are not connected -- the harness may have been pulled during the car's last service. However, low coolant as mentioned before me or air in the system are also possible.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 11-30-2007 at 06:58 AM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by 06ltd View Post
    When was the last time you cleaned/replaced your air filter? This is often the cause of poor gas mileage.

$300/100,000 miles isn't a bad ratio.

Yeah, check the coolant level, but no fan sounds more like a bad thermostat. If you top off the coolant make sure to let the engine warm up, then turn it off and let the car sit for 15-20 then recheck the level.
    $350 for timing belt, last month and possible $300 for oxygen sensor this month, plus down time, and hopefully nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    The code number of the CEL is much more useful than the "diagnosis" from either the code reader or the guy interpreting the code reader. Was the code PO171, bank 1 lean? If so, yes, it could be your oxygen sensor, but it could also be that you have a vacuum leak or it could be your intake causing the code. Switch the intake back to stock and see if the code goes away.

If you cannot see any coolant leak, it is likely there is air in your coolant system. The dealer needs to burp the system again, since it's also likely they caused the problem when servicing the car (I'm assuming you did a full service with the timing belt).

By the way, if the fans never come on it's possible they are not connected -- the harness may have been pulled during the car's last service. However, low coolant as mentioned before me or air in the system are also possible.
    There were two error codes, can't remember what they were exactly, but one was to check the fuses/circuit for the oxygen sensor, and I think the other was to check the sensor itself, I think.

as for the overheating, it seems the fan is not working since the timing belt, so my assumption is that they did not reconnect it or forgot to put something back on. The car overheated when it was idling and no air flow, It seems also that it was nearly a gallon low on antifreeze and I have an appointment tomorrow at the dealership. I want them to fix it all and make sure there is no engine damage, if there is, I'm gonna try to get them to fix it b/c I see that it is their fault. After everything is all checked out and and fixed, I'm thinking to sell the car b/c I could use the money for some other things I need to pay and get a lease for now.

I found that if the car is idling, if I keep the heat blasted with the setting to pull from outside air, the car is fine temp-wise... so God-willing, it's good enough to get it fixed at the dealership.

oh, and the filter has been cleaned recently and I'm pretty sure it would give me that bad of gas mileage...

Check to see if your full on coolant. When the car is running at temp, check the two hoses at the top and bottom. If they don't feel cool to the touch and it doesn't feel like fluid is running through them then you will need to change the thermostat and burp the system.

Also, get some tools out and remove the plastic scoop and check to see if the fans are plugged in.
    vincere est vivere

the dealership fixed it, said it was a blown fuse by the fan or something... it was the fan that was the problem when the car was idling... and found that the coolant was low so filled it... should be good to go now... seems to run fine now..