Just got a 03 bugeye and already having issues
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Just got a 03 bugeye and already having issues within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just picked up the car on Saturday and have been driving it daily. When on the highway the car ...

Need some help with my o3 bugeye

I just picked up the car on Saturday and have been driving it daily. When on the highway the car tends to drift left and right, while I'm holding the wheel straight. It drifts left when i give it gas and drifts right when i let off the gas. Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Another problem that I'm having is when i turn on the car it turns on but then the idle drops and the car turns off.

Another dumb thing that happens is that when i brake the car shakes and i feel the brake peddle shaking also. When stopping from high speeds the car tends to start pulling to the side, as if the brakes are not grabbing evenly.

I need some help.

Thanks
    Last edited by Gwangsun; 11-30-2007 at 05:37 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    If you post questions about engine performance issues it helps to know what engine mods have been done.I'm guessing you might have an air intake on the car.The braking is probably "warped" rotors or pad build up on the rotors.The steering issue is easilly diagnosed if you take your car to NTB/Merchants/Tire Kingdom and get a free alignment check.Also check your tire pressure.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwangsun View Post
    When on the highway the car tends to drift left and right, while I'm holding the wheel straight. It drifts left when i give it gas and drifts right when i let off the gas. Has this ever happened to anyone else?
    Sounds like either a bad alignment, poor tires, or worn lower control arm bushings.

This sounds like normal maintenance is needed. The brakes need to be checked, and you will probably need new rotors. Also have the alignment and tire checked for the car pulling one way or another. With the car shutting off at low idle, maybe you need a new fuel filter, or just a simple tune up. This is all normal maintenance for a 5 year old car, and nothing Subaru specific.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwangsun View Post
    Another problem that I'm having is when i turn on the car it turns on but then the idle drops and the car turns off.
    I have this problem as well.. but only when the car is already hot/warmed up. Cold starts are completely fine. I have no idea why it does this either
    I've just been giving it a little bit of gas when i start it up fully warmed.

RDB81 - fuel filter? Not synonymous with oil filter right?
    -kyle
    bugeyemafia#126
    VF39'd, Bailey-tuned! 280.07whp 250.05wtq

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by koogxone View Post
    I have this problem as well.. but only when the car is already hot/warmed up. Cold starts are completely fine. I have no idea why it does this either
    I've just been giving it a little bit of gas when i start it up fully warmed.

RDB81 - fuel filter? Not synonymous with oil filter right?
    Considering you have a Injen CAI i would try cleaning the MAF sensor.You have never heard of a fuel filter?Every car since the 1940's has come with one...
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I have a brand new MAF sensor; mine went out about 2 months ago. Also have brand new o2 sensors. The car has been protuned, so the intake messing with the MAF readings should not be an issue, right?
    -kyle
    bugeyemafia#126

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    Sounds like either a bad alignment, poor tires, or worn lower control arm bushings.
    Or all 3.

Quote Originally Posted by RDB81 View Post
    This sounds like normal maintenance is needed. The brakes need to be checked, and you will probably need new rotors. Also have the alignment and tire checked for the car pulling one way or another. With the car shutting off at low idle, maybe you need a new fuel filter, or just a simple tune up. This is all normal maintenance for a 5 year old car, and nothing Subaru specific.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Considering you have a Injen CAI i would try cleaning the MAF sensor.You have never heard of a fuel filter?Every car since the 1940's has come with one...
    +2

Does it have an afmkt BOV? Pics of the engine bay please.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    I have a brand new MAF sensor; mine went out about 2 months ago. Also have brand new o2 sensors. The car has been protuned, so the intake messing with the MAF readings should not be an issue, right?
    The oil from the filters that come with 99&#37; of the intakes on the market can contaminate the MAF and the IAT sensor.Not to mention some most aftermarket filters let MORE dirt in than the stock paper element.The sensors can easially be cleaned with CRC MAF cleaner sold at most autostores.Your old MAF probably just needed to be cleaned.Easiest way for both of you to find out whats wrong is spend $80 on a Tactrix cable and datalog the car.Makes diagnosing problems 10x easier.
    Last edited by Donkey; 12-02-2007 at 07:19 AM.
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    The oil from the filters that come with 99% of the intakes on the market can contaminate the MAF and the IAT sensor.Not to mention some most aftermarket filters let MORE dirt in than the stock paper element.The sensors can easially be cleaned with CRC MAF cleaner sold at most autostores.Your old MAF probably just needed to be cleaned.Easiest way for both of you to find out whats wrong is spend $80 on a Tactrix cable and datalog the car.Makes diagnosing problems 10x easier.
    Nope. I datalogged the car and the MAF was reading scattered data of up to 30 grams/sec of air flowing through the system. WAY too high. It also jumped randomly between 13 grams/sec of air to 30, before and after the cleaning. It was my understanding that the normal amount is somewhere around 3-4 grams/sec. Anyway, a combination of that and the front o2 sensor on its way out made my car undrivable until i got new ones of both.

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me
    Does it have an afmkt BOV?
    Yep, the car came with a Turbosmart Vee-Port BOV and I haven't replaced it. I've been looking for a stock BPV for a while now
    -kyle
    bugeyemafia#126

BTW sorry for slightly hijacking.. but this issue is one of the OP's problems as well.
    -kyle
    bugeyemafia#126

I Support ClubWRX

Yep, the car came with a Turbosmart Vee-Port BOV and I haven't replaced it. I've been looking for a stock BPV for a while now
    Just get an afmkt plumb back unit (recirc unit)
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Theres no problem talking about your car. Im bringing mine back to the dealer so that they can give it a tune up, alignment, resurfacing of the brakes and other stuff. I hope after this the car will feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    Just get an afmkt plumb back unit (recirc unit)
    Do you mean a recirculating valve (like the Perrin recirc BOV) or some kind of recirculating kit that works with a Vent-to-Atmosphere BOV?

Quote Originally Posted by Gwangsun
    Theres no problem talking about your car. Im bringing mine back to the dealer so that they can give it a tune up, alignment, resurfacing of the brakes and other stuff. I hope after this the car will feel better.
    The car should feel better, but don't let them weasel their way into telling you that there are more and more things wrong with the car (hence the term "stealership"). If this happens, you might want to think about finding a local tuner that can look at the car.
    -kyle
    bugeyemafia#126

I Support ClubWRX
    Do you mean a recirculating valve (like the Perrin recirc BOV) or some kind of recirculating kit that works with a Vent-to-Atmosphere BOV?
    Yup.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.