Stock "skidplate" surgery
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Stock "skidplate" surgery within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Well, this isn't a terribly exciting post, but it might be worthwhile for anyone who is suffering a similar problem. ...

Stock "skidplate" surgery

Well, this isn't a terribly exciting post, but it might be worthwhile for anyone who is suffering a similar problem.

Got a new set of tires the other day from Town Fair Tire (toyo proxes 4- I swear by them). When driving home, I hear something a little funny- like the sound a snow shovel makes against concrete. But it was cold and dark out, and I wasn't driving terribly fast on the city roads to get to my family's home due to the Shopping Madness, so I shrugged it off. I don't drive for a day or so, and then get set to head home. Lo and behold, the sound is a lot worse at high speeds!

You've probably guessed it by now- somehow the town fair gentlemen managed to tear my plastic "skid plate," and a portion of it was dragging on the ground, causing both the sound and increased blood pressure in the driver. They managed to rip off the plastic retainers. Must have gotten a little feisty with the jack or missed the automated lifts.

Anyway, as they were closed today and I really had to head home, I did a bit of surgury, pictured below. Taking some aluminum stock, I bent it into the shape of the plastic tray and riveted it (using Al rivets...) back together. It took me about an hour or so all said and done. Pretty cheap way to do it, if you have to get a move on and don't really want to pay for a new one of the plastic ones- how much do they run anyway? I couldn't find them online.

I think the frankenstein looks sort of add to the general sex appeal of the car.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 11-25-07_1439.jpg   11-25-07_1437.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    That sux.

Rally armor makes a nice aluminum replacement.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

im always affraid someone is going to do that on camry or something where i have to take that off in order to do an oil change..but oh wait i cant do it cause there are hundreds of pins everywhere....

I took mine in for an oil change and 3k later I was under there doing it myself and the place (out of town) broke one of the bolts off in the back. I have not tried to get it out yet b/c I don't have the tools to do it right now but I'm thinking it's a lost cause, rusted in as it happened over the winter.

If anyone has any ideas on that one I'm all ears.
    from the outside looking in you don't understand from the inside looking out you can't explaine

Never heard of an automated lift. Where can i get one?
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,"If I live, I will kill you. If i die, you are forgiven. " such is the rule of Honor.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.