Electircal issue
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Electircal issue within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Last year, around Christmas, my car stalled while making a U turn (I figured it was just some bad clutching) ...

Electircal issue

Last year, around Christmas, my car stalled while making a U turn (I figured it was just some bad clutching) but when attempted to start it, nothing. My battery was completely dead. After a jump it started right up and ran fine. I took it to a shop, had the battery checked as well as the alternator. They told me everything was normal. I tightened the cables and made sure that they were clean, and the problem seemed to go away.

Fast forward a year. Sitting in front of a stop light, with the defroster / rear defroster / windshield wipers and headlights on. I noticed the rpm dropping and everything slowing down. Car stalled. I got out, pushed it down a hill to get some momentum, hoped back in, dropped in gear and it started just fine.

I drove to work, but had to keep it clutch revved just to keep it going. Took it to the shop, they said I had a bad alternator. After attempting to run the car under load with the battery cable detached, the alternator failed. So I assumed they were correct.

I bought the new Alternator, put it in, after witch it seemed to work for a little bit, but just a few days after the install the problem has come up again.

Here are the exact symptoms.

The car runs fine at speed. The battery will drain out in stop in go, unless
    I keep it revved, but it will recharge at speed.

In stop and go traffic, it will stall if I run anything other then the engine with out keeping it revved.

With the battery detached it will run everything under load (with a little bit of light flicker) with the engine revved, but as soon as I let go of the gas it stalls.
    Like I said it has a new alternator.
    I had unorthodox pulleys on there, but left the alternator pulley off when I put the new alternator on. So now there is just the power steering/ crank pulley that are after market.

Also a question does the AC pulley, just run the AC? or is there another system that it runs.
    So any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    How old is the battery? It may be time for a swap/upgrade.

checked the battery

I checked the battery, and everything seems to be ok. The voltage checks out. I checked the wire from the alternator, and it also put out the correct voltage. just to test it, I ran it for 20 minutes, keeping the revs up, with the battery disconnected and it ran ok (lights flickered ect. but that is normal if the battery is disconnected.)

I hooked up one of those battery, alternator test kits and it said that the electric they were all good. I am looking into the Intake air control Valve right now as I'v kind of run up a dead end on the electrical side of the house.

I also

Is it throwing any kind of check engine lights?? May be a bad ground or corroded connections somewhere. The best place to take it would be a performance shop that looks at subaru's all the time, they just might know the problem
    2002 WRB WRX Wagon
    Tuned by Bobby at PRE
    245 AWHP and 255 AWTQ @17 psi
    Bugeye Mafia #153
    Proud member of Different Strokes

Quote Originally Posted by WRXworm View Post
    I Hit 22 mph one time... and then i got scared so i let off. dont worry though, i was in a empty parkin lot so no one was around... When your to that point you need to shift into 2nd it gets scary... be careful out there...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.