Serious Turbo Whine & Boost loss
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Serious Turbo Whine & Boost loss within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi All - any help would be appreciated! Here's the scoop; I get in my whip this morning and all ...

Serious Turbo Whine & Boost loss

Hi All - any help would be appreciated! Here's the scoop; I get in my whip this morning and all of a sudden my CEL comes on... hmm what the hecks going on? I start to press the peddle down, my turbo starts to whine like a jet and the air doesn't seem to be getting into the motor... boost is lost.

Mods: 2002 WRX
    AMR Headers
    AMR Uppipe
    VF34
    Invidia 3" down
    Blitz Nur Spec 3" down back
    STI Pink's
    AMR TMI
    APR BOV
    Dynotuned - ECU Remapped

It sounds like a vacuum leak or a wastegate issue... but I don't know. It is quite depressing when you push on that peddle and it no longer takes off like a rocket!

Any help or suggestions would be great.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

what kind of em are you using ?
    read the cel code and let us know

your car went into limp mode
    let us know what the codes are then ill let you know how to get it outa limp mode
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

Currently I am running the stock ECU with a cobb access port.

How can I read the CEL codes? I assume I have to hook up the access port... I'll have to read the manual.

I have a tuner that I use here in Westchester, I just can't afford to leave the car with him for a few days. So if its something I can look into, I'm all about it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Sounds like one of the IC hoses popped off. Check them.

Will do, thanks for the reply.

Two More Questions

When I Start the car in the morning, I hear a knocking noise in the engine. After the engine has warmed up, the noise diminishes quite a bit.... Any fixes?

Also, last year when it got really cold, I started the car and all I could smell was gas while it was warming up, after it was warm you couldn't smell it anymore... Wierd? I thought I may blow up...

Quote Originally Posted by redlites99 View Post
    When I Start the car in the morning, I hear a knocking noise in the engine. After the engine has warmed up, the noise diminishes quite a bit.... Any fixes?

Also, last year when it got really cold, I started the car and all I could smell was gas while it was warming up, after it was warm you couldn't smell it anymore... Wierd? I thought I may blow up...

the whole knocking thing is exactly what happened in my camaro. end result? thrown rod. i hope and pray this is not the case, but dont be shocked if this is the news you recieve

as for the gas i have no clue.
    Quote Originally Posted by STiBOi View Post
    Could it still be considered a sex toy if you get off from driving it?

on second thought. i would recommend ABSOLUTELY NOT starting the car until you have it checked out for rod kncock. just my two cents and im sure if my advice is fallible someone will correct me on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by STiBOi View Post
    Could it still be considered a sex toy if you get off from driving it?

I Support ClubWRX
    If the noise is piston slap on startup you can replace the shortblock with another one that will also have piston slap on startup. Or you can drive the car until the doors fall off. I'm opting for the latter.

If the fuel smell is getting worse in cold weather, and you cannot find anything obvious, it could be a known issue with a hose clamp that's difficult to get to unless you own the longest screwdriver in the world and are a contortionist. Search for fuel smell, gas smell, gas leak etc. and you'll see posts on it. There was a TSB at some point I think, it's been years.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Listen to SD first about the fuel smell, but another option is the catless uppipe you are now running.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Cool - Many thanks for the suggestions... I hope my rod isn't slapping or the pistons! I do have 77K on it!

I plugged in my Access port and I am getting an error code "P1139" go figure, that's not in the flipping manual they gave me with the thing!

Anyone know what that means...

As for the turbo - looks like the hose that connects the turbo to the TMIC is shrinking and appears to be too short...

I'm out for blood!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.