Front Windshield washer spray not working
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Front Windshield washer spray not working within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi All - any help for this problem would be much appreciated. I did a search and didn't find anyone ...

Front Windshield washer spray not working

Hi All - any help for this problem would be much appreciated.

I did a search and didn't find anyone treating this specific problem I've run into.
    I have a 2003 WRX wagon and the front windshield washer has quit working. The rear one still works fine though.
    I did some troubleshooting based on the suggestions I did find, and I've determined that the problem lies somewhere with getting power to the washer motor.

When I pull the wiper stalk to activate the washers, the wipers move but the motor doesn't run. If I hook the motor up directly to 12vDC then it runs and washer fluid sprays out the nozzles, so everything seems good from that point.
    I checked the fuses and none of them appear to be blown. I specifically removed the one labelled "wiper" and when that one's removed, the front wipers don't even work, so I would think if it was a fuse issue, more than just my washers wouldn't work.

I measured the voltage across the terminals of the connector that hook up to the washer motor, and when I activate the washer the voltage fluctuates but never reaches even 1vDC - I'm guessing it should be 12v or thereabouts?

One interesting thing to add, I measured the voltage between each terminal on the washer motor electrical connector and battery ground while the washer wasn't activated, and I saw 13+v for each, I expected to see 0v. I repeated the same measurement on the rear washer terminals and saw the same thing, 13+v when it wasn't activated - so that appears to be correct. I never measured the voltage across the rear terminals when it was activated though - something I should have done.

Are there any relays that I can check or any other ideas? I hate going to the dealer for something I can do myself, and there's not many things I can do myself

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

ODJ
    Well, I have only one silly suggestion...

The WRX is different from every other car I've driven in that the window squirter doesn't activate when you pull the wiper control stalk toward the steering wheel (this activates the 'mist' function).

Instead, you have to hit the button on the end of the stalk to operate the squirter.

I only mention this because I remember reading a post in the past where someone went to the dealer to fix a broken windshield squirter, only to find out they just didn't know how to activate it.

Since you have an '03, it's entirely possible that the little sprayer icon on the button has worn off, further confusing the issue.
    UNSPOILT BY PROGRESS

Thanks. I think I am an idiot. I was pulling forward and not pushing the button, so I bet that's the problem. I'll try it out tonight. I don't drive the WRX everyday and in my other car you need to pull forward... At least I didn't take it to the dealer!

LOL! yeah gotta explore around for a bit!

thanks for the tip, I will see if this solves my issue also!
    2011 VW GTI - K04

Quote Originally Posted by ODJ View Post
    Well, I have only one silly suggestion...

The WRX is different from every other car I've driven in that the window squirter doesn't activate when you pull the wiper control stalk toward the steering wheel (this activates the 'mist' function).

Instead, you have to hit the button on the end of the stalk to operate the squirter.

I only mention this because I remember reading a post in the past where someone went to the dealer to fix a broken windshield squirter, only to find out they just didn't know how to activate it.

Since you have an '03, it's entirely possible that the little sprayer icon on the button has worn off, further confusing the issue.
    This post just helped me with my '13 lol. The pull forward for mist thing threw me off. I too am glad I didn't take mine to the dealer haha.

Hah. Wish I had seen this on my first day of owning my '13! I kept pulling it looking for mist and got none so, in a rage, stopped at the nearest O-Reilly and bought a gallon of washer fluid. When it only took a a couple ounces to overflow I was mistified. When I get back in I found the button.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.