Clutch slipping, need advice
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Clutch slipping, need advice within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I bought an Exedy stage 1 clutch and ACT prolite flywheel and the clutch is already almost shot after 7 ...

Clutch slipping, need advice

I bought an Exedy stage 1 clutch and ACT prolite flywheel and the clutch is already almost shot after 7 months. Perhaps I didn't break it in properly but I have a few questions.

1. Do I need a new pressure plate or just the clutch disk?
    2. Are Exedy clutches notoriously weak?
    3. Clutches are advertised in stages, but does it really matter what stage if you're putting down under 350hp?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. I need to order a new clutch asap if anyone has a recommended clutch that won't wear out in 3k miles...
    Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

you should really give us a little more information on your situation. We need to know your modifications, estimated power at the wheel, how hard you drive the car, where you live, and any other useful information. From what I have heard, the STi clutch loses its gripping power around 300-320 awhp

I've had the clutch for only 7 months and put only 3000miles on it. It's slipping through all gears. My engine mods are not too extreme, still have stock transmission. Someone mentioned that I may have glazed the flywheel and that could be why I'm not getting friction.

Is it possible that the clutch plate is still good I just need to resurface the flywheel?
    Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?

I Support ClubWRX
    Since the miles on the unit are so low, it leads me to think the use was atypical. Given that, anything is possible. Your questions are all empirical -- once you remove the clutch assembly you will easily see what the problem is. Post back and let us know.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

i have an 02 and i had the same problems on a new stock clutch with 7 thousand on it mainly all high way....when i replaced the set up with the exedy stage 2 with the street light fly wheell..my flywheel was glazed and the throwout bearing was already going out..the clutch was just starting to show wear and tear on it...so yes it could be anything...i have had my stage two clutch for 6 months...i love it

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't mean this to be insulting, but I think this may be a driver issue. On 2/12/07 you posted this:
    Quote Originally Posted by sin2win View Post
    Alright, so my clutch is gone, and this is my second one...I want to make sure my third one isn't going to burn out in a year. Any recommendations on a quality performance clutch? I have an 03 WRX and I drive it like I stole it.
    That would make this the third clutch you've burnt out in a short period of time. A properly driven clutch will last clear over 100k.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.