radiator problems

This is a discussion on radiator problems within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys how it going. i am having some problems with my stage 2 02 wrx with the 2.0. I ...

radiator problems

Hey guys how it going. i am having some problems with my stage 2 02 wrx with the 2.0. I am on my 3rd radiator that keeps blowing out the bottom!!! My car was running right at 200 degrees constant. i blew a radiator hose some how it got a pin sized whole in it. So i replaced the upper and lower hoses and the radiator..when i pulled out the radiator it was twice the weight due to calcium. i work in a auto shop and i got a radiator from our supplier cost for 140..i thought it was good..it was in the car for no more than a week week and it started leaking out the bottom.. I replaced it with a warrenty one and i drove to oregon and back from pheonix.when i got back it started leaking again..again warrenty..i have had this radiator for no more than a week and leaking out of the same spot again...no ideas going threw my head...crap radiators? bad head gasket? cap? thermostat? the car is now running right at 180 to 185 no problem so its not thermostat stuck open...head gasket..subaru said when i took off the cap coolant would boil out? it doesnt. it doesn't over heat. i replaced the cap...so crap radiators? or what anyone have an idea? i have asked our master tech all my instructors at universal technical institute everything.. everyone has no idea and the radiator company says they have never had a problem with it and blame it on the car... Please help!!!! any ideas ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by az's02wrx View Post
    Hey guys how it going. i am having some problems with my stage 2 02 wrx with the 2.0. I am on my 3rd radiator that keeps blowing out the bottom!!!

The works rads are known to blow the top seam. What do you mean my bottom? Bottom seam? Bottom hose?

i blew a radiator hose some how it got a pin sized whole in it. So i replaced the upper and lower hoses and the radiator..when i pulled out the radiator it was twice the weight due to calcium.

Excessive mineral deposits on a relatively new vehicle mean you've used an incorrect coolant at some point and/or added two incompatible coolants together.

i work in a auto shop and i got a radiator from our supplier cost for 140..i thought it was good..it was in the car for no more than a week week and it started leaking out the bottom..

Why were you uncertain? Was it not a new unit meeting OEM specifications? Was it used?

no ideas going threw my head...crap radiators? bad head gasket? cap? thermostat? the car is now running right at 180 to 185 no problem so its not thermostat stuck open

You might mean stuck closed depending on ambient temps and driving conditions.

i have asked our master tech all my instructors at universal technical institute everything.. everyone has no idea and the radiator company says they have never had a problem with it and blame it on the car... Please help!!!! any ideas ?

If they have no idea you might consider being discouraged (in them, not the car). It's a simple system, they should be able to troubleshoot it much easier than any of us can remotely, since they have access to the car.

What I found most interesting is that you said there were deposits in the first radiator. If that's true, and if the coolant used was incorrect and resulted in the deposits, it may be that the system is clogged up.

Is there circulation? Can you tell when the thermostat opens and coolant starts flowing by looking through the cap opening?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

ok...i have done two radiator flushs now after each new one went in..i flushed it with 10 gallons of coolant instead of the normal 5 gallons. each flush came out clean.. I keep blowing the seal on the bottom of the radiator. sorry ya the thermostat isnt stuck closed its not over heating..everyone i have spoke to has came to the conclusion a head gasket or a cap or a radiator..the compression and leak down test came out fine..pain in the ass to do..but came out at spec! replaced the cap. and the radiator company..i have spoke with techs at different shops that go threw the same company. never had a problem wit the radiators. we have never had a bad radiator from the company either.. yes it is equivilant to a oem spec radiator. i am starting to firmly believe in that its the head gasket and it just hasn't gottin really bad yet. Yes i can tell when the thermostat opens and i can see the circulation in the coolant

I Support ClubWRX
    A leaking head gasket will either leak coolant into the oil or it will not. An oil analysis will tell you if there was ever any coolant in the oil. If your school does not have a lab setup, consider Blackstone Labs. If there is no coolant in the oil, can you see coolant seeping out of the heads?

Repeated failures at a specific point would probably make me consider a pressure problem -- a localized obstruction or even a faulty pump inlet -- or a radiator mounting problem. In either case, something physically wrong with the coolant path or a physical problem like something rubbing onto the part that fails repeatedly.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.