Check Engine light help please...I'm new :)

This is a discussion on Check Engine light help please...I'm new :) within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; On my 2002 WRX my Check Engine light came on the other day. I read that it could have to ...

Check Engine light help please...I'm new :)

On my 2002 WRX my Check Engine light came on the other day. I read that it could have to do with the gas cap being left off for a time, so I waited it out. Does not seem to be the problem.

The car seems to be running smooth...however I will say that I was idling the other day and I did smell some gasoline fumes when standing beside it.

Basically I do not want to take it to the dealer and pay the $90 to get it tested...I really do not have money to be doing that. I am supposed to be going to Chicago on Friday and now and unsure if I want to because of the risk of damage to my car and also the cost of possibly having to fix it.

Any ideas?

by grace alone,
    Mike Sense

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Go to pepboys, advanced auto or autozone and get them to pull the code

Quote Originally Posted by gfred024 View Post
    it's free ^

Make sure to right down the code so you don't forget what it was. I did that once.
    -John
    Different Strokes
    Dirty Crew #2002
    Mods in profile.

ODJ
    Then look up the definition of the code in the text file found in this thread:

OBD2 P-Codes

After that you'll post again with the vague code definition, asking what you need to check or replace to fix the problem. Hopefully it'll be something cheap, easy and entertaining. Good luck!
    UNSPOILT BY PROGRESS

DUB
    Quote Originally Posted by gfred024 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Thug Nasty View Post
    it's free ^

Make sure to right down the code so you don't forget what it was. I did that once.
    Quote Originally Posted by ODJ View Post
    Then look up the definition of the code in the text file found in this thread:

OBD2 P-Codes

After that you'll post again with the vague code definition, asking what you need to check or replace to fix the problem. Hopefully it'll be something cheap, easy and entertaining. Good luck!
    Nice teamwork fellas.

this happened to me once i have an 06.....disconnect the battery for a few minutes and make sure the gas caps "clicks" at least 3x

The gas smell might be attributed to the TSB for fuel lines, I don't recall the exact details off the top of my head, but in colder weather a small amount of gas will sputter out and that's why you get the smell.

I haven't bothered to get it fixed, I drove the car through 2 winters so far and haven't had an issue yet.

+1 to the people who recommended hitting AutoZone for a free code read. If you don't have any of those nearby, just go to walmart, buy the best code reader from the automotive section - go outside, use it, then bring it back in and return it.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Thanks so much for your help! Saved me money and there is nothing wrong with my car

ODJ
    So why was the CEL illuminated, then?
    UNSPOILT BY PROGRESS