Greetings fellow Subi owners. I searched the threads and have not found any decisive answers as to what I might be up against, so I'd thought I'd throw this one out there to see if anyone can point me in the right direction:

I have a 2005 WRX wagon with the 5-speed manual tranny. Ever since I bougth the car (about 8 months ago) I have noticed that my transmission leaks about a 1/2 an ounce everytime I drive it. I thought it was the shift-shaft seal as it drips down the back of the transmission housing right onto the exhaust so it stinks to high heaven. I replaced the seal and either it didn't fix the problem or I made it worse as it stinks just as bad and leaves a small oil stain everytime I park the car. I noticed some play in the shift-shaft when I replaced the seal, I'm thinking that something in the linkage inside the transmission may not be right as the movement seems excessive which I think is allowing the shaft to push radially on the seal during shifting which causes the leak.

Has anyone ever heard of this? I'm at 48k so it's not covered under the 36k warranty and the dealer is wanting a fortune just to look at it. Any ideas would be appreciated.