Oil Consumption/Starvation

This is a discussion on Oil Consumption/Starvation within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; After about 1,500 miles since my last oil change (M1 Synthetic), I checked my oil level while cleaning my car. ...

Oil Consumption/Starvation

After about 1,500 miles since my last oil change (M1 Synthetic), I checked my oil level while cleaning my car. Much to my surprise, there was just a touch of oil registering on the dipstick. I added half a quart, fired up the engine, checked again and needed to add the rest of the quart for it to be full. This is about the 3rd or 4th time since I've had the car and it has about 37,000 on it (04 WRX). Have I done any possible damage, has this happened to anyone else, is this normal, etc? Please help and thanks in advance.
    Blob Eye Syndicate #1000

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Most companys will say 1 quart between changes is okay.

If it's in warranty have the dealership take a peak. If it's out of warranty just keep an eye on it every fill up (or if you arent as anal as me every other).

Next oil change you might also want to try a different oil and see if it burns it or not.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

If done at a shop, check oil level yourself before leaving the lot. If done by you, then you know how much you actually put in. This (low level) has happened to me a couple of times. I have had to add a quart between changes, but not all the time. No leaks and I'm at 37000 on the odometer and using Royal Purple. Just think it is a quirk of the car. It has happened to other members as well.
    Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Steven Wright

i see loss of a qt between every change with castrol gtx. alot of highway driving will casue the oil to burn as well. nothing to be worried just keep it full

I Support ClubWRX
    Try changing to a 5W-40 or use a higher quality oil like suggested(Royal Purple,Redline).M1 5w-30 is known to be very thin.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S