backfires and stumbles

This is a discussion on backfires and stumbles within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have an 02 wrx. These last few days my car has been acting weird. When its just sitting there ...

backfires and stumbles

I have an 02 wrx. These last few days my car has been acting weird. When its just sitting there idling and i hit the pedal it hesitates for a second or two. Also when i'm coasting down the road and i hit the pedal it sometimes backfires and stumbles real bad. I have no cel. Hopefully this is not a major problem. If anybody has any info i'd appreciate it. thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    is it all stock?

check TPS setting, also verify the MAF is clean. plugs/wires/etc. good shape?
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

So far i have an uppipe, downpipe, bov, intake silencer removed, and short shifter. I don't think it has anything to do with the bov cause it doesn't hesitate or backfire when i shift. Also my car has about 57,000 miles on it. I checked out the two spark plugs on the passenger side and they were a little white. So that would mean its running lean. what would cause this. Fuel pump injectors?

I Support ClubWRX
    Uhm... engine management? (Cobb AP, etc.?)

Is the BOV spring set too soft? Under high vacuum loads, it can be open, allowing unmetered air to enter the intake tract.
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

No i don't run any engine management. I run a gfb stealth f/x bov so i can adjust it to 100% atmospheric or 100% back to the intake. Right now I have all the air going back to the intake and it still does it. As far as the spring setting i think its fine its been at the same setting for a while now. I really don't think the bov has anything to do with it. There is no hesitation when i shift its just when i hit the pedal at idle and when i'm if i'm coasting and i hit the pedal. But I will try to mess with the spring setting for the hell of it. thanks for the help i appreciate it.

My check engine light came on today, I read the code and it was p0172. Which is bank one system running rich. Does anyone know what could cause this or what i could look at to possibly fix this. My car is pretty much undriveable. Please help if anyone knows anything i could do. Thanks

the stumbling is most likely misfiring due to yuor car running pig rich, most likely because you have no EM(+ no cats, if your dp is catless). revving it in neutral will hesitate when the car is running pretty rich. check out your maf and o2 sensors and get it tuned quick. it shouldn't be a problem after. i had this problem before as well.
    -kyle
    bugeyemafia#126
    VF39'd, Bailey-tuned! 280.07whp 250.05wtq