wastegate issuse

This is a discussion on wastegate issuse within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; when i am accelerating through 3rd gear, at about 4-5k rpms, i hear a pop and a sudden jerk. my ...

wastegate issuse

when i am accelerating through 3rd gear, at about 4-5k rpms, i hear a pop and a sudden jerk. my check engine light comes on and my cruise control light blinks. i took it to advacned and their computer says that Solenoid A in my wastegate disengaged or something along those lines after a couple days the engine light turns off. i have a short ram intake on the car, could the problem be just too much air flow that the stock wastegate can't handle and it is tripping itself? or something else, i have other after market parts on the car so subaru won't look at it unless it is back to stock specs...would maybe a BOV fix this issue?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ohsixwgnz View Post
    when i am accelerating through 3rd gear, at about 4-5k rpms, i hear a pop and a sudden jerk. my check engine light comes on and my cruise control light blinks. i took it to advacned and their computer says that Solenoid A in my wastegate disengaged or something along those lines after a couple days the engine light turns off. i have a short ram intake on the car, could the problem be just too much air flow that the stock wastegate can't handle and it is tripping itself? or something else, i have other after market parts on the car so subaru won't look at it unless it is back to stock specs...would maybe a BOV fix this issue?
    List all of your mods compleatly. Sounds like a fuel cut from over boosting. Do you have any sort of boost control. Have you messed with any of the boost lines.

just intake and exhaust now, was running stage 2 with cobb AP but it is back to stock because i had to replace the clutch about a month ago. other than that, unless some of the subaru guys tampered with stuff nothing else has been changed

Quote Originally Posted by ohsixwgnz View Post
    No, no, no. A BOV will make it worse.

Definitely sounds like boost cut. I hope you have a 02-03. otherwise a tune or put your stock intake box back on right now.
    Has it done it since?
    Was it cold out?
    If your CEL and Cruise flashed that = very bad. Probably boost cut or a violent knock or det.

No the stock wastegate works the opposite way. If there was something wrong you would only have 7-9 psi.

The definite fix GET A PROTUNE !