just got STI.....few problems

This is a discussion on just got STI.....few problems within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Alright guys, I just got my first subie, an 05 STI. I'm sure I'm gonna get flamed for this, but ...

just got STI.....few problems

Alright guys, I just got my first subie, an 05 STI. I'm sure I'm gonna get flamed for this, but I bought it without checking a carfax or anything, just kindof got a visual, drove it (everything seemed great), and bought it.

So I drive it home, using cruise at 75 on the freeway, and the cruise all of a sudden shuts off. The light is blinking and the check engine light is triggered. The previous owner mentioned this happens every once in a while, and it's still under warranty, so I figure no big deal. I schedule an appointment with the local Subaru dealership (it takes 2 weeks to get it in). In the meantime I start noticing an antifreeze smell and locate a leak from the heater hoses under the intercooler. Same thing, I figure no big deal, should be fixed under warranty. I take the car in......and find out what I should have investigated in the first place. The car has been wrecked.

At this point I figure it's almost pointless to take it back to the previous owner and yell. Total damages: bent subframe, leaking hoses (fixed), car is still throwing the code, and I have my rear struts clunking like crazy. I guess my questions are: How easy are those repairs to do myself? (no automotive experience, but I have access to a lift since I work at a tire store). What should I do about the code (local subaru dealership sucks, I feel screwed every time I leave there)? And does anyone know anyplace that I can get some stock STI decals? The grill appears to be a typical impreza grill and the fog light decals and door decals are missing.

Thanks for any help guys. I feel like a moron, but better to fix it and move on and have a car that I love.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

boost is also limited when a CEL is triggered. do you have red faced gauges, a 6 speed, and intercooler with STi on it, and a red intake manifold???? the questions you asked in regards to the grill and sti stickers is scaring me. just wanna make sure you actually bought an STi since you didn't run a carfax and there's a possibility of a clone.

Scared the crap outta me too. I have yet to run the vin, but I have DCCD, red faced guages with STI logo, STI shifter, STI logo on the back, six speed, STI intercooler and red manifold..
    Also scared me b/c the interior is not the blue/pink/black STI interior. It's full black which I can't figure out..... I'm confident that I have an STI , I figure that it was just a front end collision and they didn't bother putting STi decals or grille on it (or repairing the subframe).
    Last edited by Turambar; 10-15-2007 at 11:31 PM.