smoking when idle
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on smoking when idle within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; alright so about 2 weeks ago i was warming up my car and noticed a funny smell, so i poopped ...

smoking when idle

alright so about 2 weeks ago i was warming up my car and noticed a funny smell, so i poopped the hood and noticed a little bit of white smoke coming from what seems like under the turbo, i wanna say its oil because my oil has been running a little low lately, also after i let it idle and i start driving smoke comes out the back of the exhaust for about 5 seconds. other then that it runs fine no funny noises doesnt smoke when im driving doesnt seem like ive lost any power, boost is still the same. Any body have any ideas???

Mods: stage 2 clutch, cai, bov, and tbe

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    Get under your car and look at the oil drain plug and filter. If one of them is leaking oil will splatter onto your downpipe and will burn off causing that lovely white smoke.

Or if you don't see it there, park someplace really clean, as in no oil spots on the ground. Go inside, make a sandwich, ***** the forums, go to sleep, whatever. go check if there's any oil spots on the ground.

Does it only smoke when you're starting up? What about when you're driving around?

ODJ
    It could be that your AC drain hose has decided to melt against your DP.
    UNSPOILT BY PROGRESS

Banned
    oh that's another good one.

Are you stage two? or have you recently installed anything new. the smoke coming out of the back of the exhaust doesn't sound like oil being spilt on the down pipe, but if your stage 2 a little smoke isn't to be unexpected. But from your first post i really think your problems started when you "pooped the hood". sorry. tell us more about the car. any mods?

edit: sorry, i didn't see the part that was clearly labeled "mods". its early and i'm in class. that would explain the little bit of smoke coming out of the exhaust especially if you revved it a llittle. so i'll go back to agreeing with blup that you may have spilled a little oil on it.
    Last edited by 06PearlWRX; 10-12-2007 at 09:35 AM.
    "90 miles an hour through trees sideways is pretty damn scary" ~Ken Block

Quote Originally Posted by Blup View Post
    Does it only smoke when you're starting up? What about when you're driving around?

if i get on it ive been told it smokes a little

ok so i guess the smoke is the least of my problems now.. On the way to work today it started knocking and basically felt like it was about to die. So i had it towed to the shop so they can tell me what i already know. Any suggestions on weather to rebuild or just start over??

Banned
    Sti Swap!!!!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by thekidsfree34 View Post
    Mods: stage 2 clutch, cai, bov, and tbe
    Quote Originally Posted by thekidsfree34 View Post
    i had it towed to the shop so they can tell me what i already know. Any suggestions on weather to rebuild or just start over??

That depends on what you already know. If what you already know includes why the original motor failed -- not what the failure is, but what caused the failure, then I'd suggest preventing the cause from happening again and deciding whether you're going to DIY or hire someone to do the work. After that, decide whether you're comfortable pulling apart the old motor or just want to drop a new one in. The cheapest route is usually to buy a used motor in working order and replace yours, but you have to figure out why whatever went wrong didn't stay right to begin with or the bills will just add up.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.