BAD ignition COIL/coils

This is a discussion on BAD ignition COIL/coils within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My 2004 wrx miss fires badly at higher rpms and a buddy of mine told me i have a bad ...

BAD ignition COIL/coils

My 2004 wrx miss fires badly at higher rpms and a buddy of mine told me i have a bad coil how do i check to see which one of the four it is if it is even one maybe multiple are bad. Is there any tricks to check im not a big electronics guy any help greatly appreciated thanks
    Car is bone stock just changed plugs NGK irodiums and synthetic oil
    2004 PSM WRX VF39'd and loving it.
    1979 Camaro Z28 383 stroker
    1993 Silverado 6.5 TD "Old Smokey"
    1974 Honda CB750 cafe racer project
    blObeye SYNDICATE #88
    "In art, as in love, instinct is enough."

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    What CEL are you getting?

Since you've changed the plugs, check the wiring and coils for correct contact. If it's the coils it could just be an installation problem.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

there are no codes it had a code for 02 sensor about 4 months ago changed that no code since. bought the car about 6 months ago and it has had the missing problem since it will miss badly 95% of the time you try and take it above 4000 rpm has gone clean and pulled strong through out maybe 3 times since i bought it. i double checked all plug gaps and tightness off all coil packs and checked for any lose cut wires all clean
    blObeye SYNDICATE #88

I Support ClubWRX
    If it is not throwing a code and there is no apparent fault at the coils, check the intake. Clean filter, check for vacuum or boost leaks. I assume the intake is stock and so is the BOV. Another thought is to see if the fuel delivery is OK. On an older car one might change the filter although it's a rare event to have one clog.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    On an older car one might change the filter although it's a rare event to have one clog.
    Unless you are like my co-worker here. he hadn't changed his fuel filter in 150K miles. He said when he pulled it out it was dripping black gunk.

I think he will change it regularly from now on as he was getting lean codes from his ECU.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    It must be on the Subway diet. Did you name it Jared?

yes both intake an bov are stock i will check fuel related thing after work... my buddy told me that the coil has to produce more power to the plug at higher rpms or something like that correct say mine is probably going bad and cannot perform that highly so it misses??? IDK i am willing to try anything at this point before im forced to take it to the dealer and give them my life savings to fix it
    blObeye SYNDICATE #88

wow no my car only had 39000 when i bought it now has 50000
    blObeye SYNDICATE #88