strange sound, could use some advice!

This is a discussion on strange sound, could use some advice! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i own an 02 wrx 5MT and recently i noticed a strange noise, sounding like a really breif whine that ...

strange sound, could use some advice!

i own an 02 wrx 5MT and recently i noticed a strange noise, sounding like a really breif whine that sounds like it is coming directly from the turbo (almost like a really really breif strange BOV). The sound only happens after about 3500rpm and at full boost when you let off the accelerator very quickly. As far as i can tell it is also only happening in 4th and 5th gear (i have a feeling it is happening in all gears but is only noticable in 4th and 5th). if anyone could give me a hand with what this could be and how to go about taking care of it i would really appreciate it. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i hope its not a problem bc i have something like that as well, except that mine almost sounds as though there is an emergency vehicle around somewhere...

yeah i guess emergency vehicle is a good way to describe it...mine is about that pitch too. my girlfriends brother is a mechanic for a shop that builds racing porsche motors, i talked to him about it (unfortunately he lives 3 states away) and we are doing some over the phone testing and troubleshooting. at this point we're doing some research and im going to see if there is any noticable loss of power from the turbo at higher rpms...he said at this point it could be any number of things from a couple problems with the transmission to just a disconnected hose to the turbo and/or BOV. Were going to spend a couple of hours doing some work with it and seeing what we can come up with, so i'll post that if we make any progress. If there is anyone who has had the same problem or knows what else it could be any help would be awesome. thanks again.

You've listed everything I was thinking: loose hose, something in the gears causing excessive whine under decel, etc.

You'll need to do some troubleshooting and eliminate different theories until you narrow it down.

my eyes are locked onto this thread let me know whatcha find out man...and i dont have any b00st drop off at high rpm's other than the normal drop of at 6k rpms...if that helps at all. boost still hits HARD.
    Last edited by znstuard; 10-07-2007 at 05:58 PM. Reason: typo

yeah mine is also acting fine in terms of the powerband, and everything is still hitting hard. as far as hoses go i havent found anything disconnected. Im beginning to think it could be narrowed down to the ball bearing in the turbo or something to do with with the transmission, whether it could be a synchro, bearing, or differential. Unfortunately the turbo and the trans arent really that closely related haha. I live near Santa Ana in CA, which is where PDX tuning is located and am planning on giving them a call in the next day or two, maybe they have some ideas and/or answers that i havent thought of, or could at least eliminate some of the potential problems. I'll keep you posted on what happens with it. again, any other advice or ideas would be appreciated for sure

hey man let me know if its the turbo...theres a guy here locally with one for sale for 100bucks =) so im hoping its nothing...but if it is something then plz be the turbo..
    Quote Originally Posted by STiBOi View Post
    Could it still be considered a sex toy if you get off from driving it?

did anybody figure anything out? just wonderin...

well if it helps settle your doubts a bit my 06 does the exact same thing. always has. my buddy was driving it the other day and kept thinkin we were getting pulled over, its a relatively quiet little whine but i dont think its anything to worry about. it also happens to me when i downshift at around 30-35 into 2nd to slow the car (i rev-match, dont flame me)
    "Whatever it takes"

ko thats good bc that is exactly the noise i hear. my ex gf (lolz) thought we were getting pulled over. and no flaming for rev matching im still working out all the little imperfections i have at driving manual. (noise only happens when i downshift as well)

well i havent gotten ahold of pdx tuning yet and i also havent managed to figure it out what is going on...the noise my car is making sounds a bit different than the one you guys have though. mine is very brief (it probably only lasts about one second) and does not happen when down shifting but after getting on the gas hard and then letting off the accelerator very quickly. Mine also sounds a bit more like a crappy BOV or whistle or something. i still have no idea what it could be though...since i still havent figured it out i plan on contacting pdx soon.