Oil leak from drain plug-HELP....
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Oil leak from drain plug-HELP.... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I recently had my oil changed and now I am leaking a touch of oil. My buddy just lifted up ...

Oil leak from drain plug-HELP....

I recently had my oil changed and now I am leaking a touch of oil. My buddy just lifted up my car and the leak is directly from the drain plug, which I hope means it's not a big deal. I am going back to the shop first thing in the AM.

Curious what may be the cause of this? Forgotten gaskett, overtightened?

I don't know crap about this so any input would be welcomed.

I have worked with this shop for years and I know they will take care of me right away but I would like to have some 'firepower'/knowledge before I go into the shop.

thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

No crush washer? If you did overtighten you need a new pan.
    Tuned by Jorge at P&L, 240.83whp 239.60wtq at 14.8psi on 2.0L with stock td04 (But doesn't run)

Quote Originally Posted by bcyb1029 View Post
    No crush washer? If you did overtighten you need a new pan.
    Not a clue about a crush washer.... New pan? Sounds major?

I didn't do the work, the shop did... They are on the hook for this 100%.... Unfortunately, this particular shop's work has gone downhill over the past 6 months. Fortunately, I know the owner fairly well and he as ALWAYS done the right thing-just too bad not on the first go-around...

thanks.

hopefully nothing too major.

My guess is they forgot to replace the crush washer, used the wrong size, tried to re-use the old one, etc.

If it's overtightened, it probably wouldn't leak. The next time it's removed ask to see the plug itself. It the threads are damaged, it could have been overtightened or cross threaded.

Quote Originally Posted by SubyPsycho View Post
    My guess is they forgot to replace the crush washer, used the wrong size, tried to re-use the old one, etc.

If it's overtightened, it probably wouldn't leak. The next time it's removed ask to see the plug itself. It the threads are damaged, it could have been overtightened or cross threaded.

i have and 06, and my room mate has an 05. he never has gone to the local stealership, and has any old gas station change his oil. i doubt a random gas station stocks extra crush washers so i think he is on his 5th oil change on the same crush washer. i was gonna give him my old crush washer for his upcomming oil change. OEM filter and crush washer for under $10 by the way at ur local dealership.

just start doing it urself. i was weary at first, but if u keep all the paperwork, the dealership can't hold it against you that u change ur own oil. i don't even trust my local dealership, let alone a jiffy lube to touch my car. as for tightening ur drainplug, tighten as tight as u can, keeping your hand/wrist at the 90 degree angle of the socket, that way you can't apply too much torque. tightening all the way on the handle of the socket (especially if you have an extension on) adds too much torque, leading to overtightening. like the saying goes, if you want it done right, you'll have to do it yourself.
    Last edited by 06WRXturbo; 10-07-2007 at 06:26 PM.

"happy ending"

So, went back to my shop today. The reason my car seemed to be leaking oil is due to them not cleaning up the excess oil that spilled when they finished the job.... Thanks guys for the new oil stains on my driveway!

Quote Originally Posted by 06WRXturbo View Post
    i have and 06, and my room mate has an 05. he never has gone to the local stealership, and has any old gas station change his oil. i doubt a random gas station stocks extra crush washers so i think he is on his 5th oil change on the same crush washer. i was gonna give him my old crush washer for his upcomming oil change. OEM filter and crush washer for under $10 by the way at ur local dealership.

just start doing it urself. i was weary at first, but if u keep all the paperwork, the dealership can't hold it against you that u change ur own oil. i don't even trust my local dealership, let alone a jiffy lube to touch my car. as for tightening ur drainplug, tighten as tight as u can, keeping your hand/wrist at the 90 degree angle of the socket, that way you can't apply too much torque. tightening all the way on the handle of the socket (especially if you have an extension on) adds too much torque, leading to overtightening. like the saying goes, if you want it done right, you'll have to do it yourself.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.