30k around the corner
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 30k around the corner within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So my 30k srevice is just around the corner. Since the brake fluid needs to be changed, i was thinking ...

30k around the corner

So my 30k srevice is just around the corner. Since the brake fluid needs to be changed, i was thinking of just switching out the brake lines while i'm at it as well as the brake pads (i was thinking about HPS).

I was also thinking about switching out my tranny fluid. do you guys think its worth it? Suggestions are much appreceated.

Thanks and advance.
    2012 VW GLI
    2012 Toyota Sienna LE AWD (thats right...swagger wagon)
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #011

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

anybody?
    2012 VW GLI
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #011

i would do some pads and ss lines
    u should do the tranny fluid,rear diff fluid,coolant, air filter, oil and filter and yeah thats about it
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

scotty's coctail

for the tranny fluid i've hard that a coctail of
    1qt Redline lightweight shockproof
    1qt Pennzoil Synchromesh
    2qt Castrol HypoyC 80w-90

have you guys heard of/used this?

any recommendations on diff. fluid?
    2012 VW GLI
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #011

ive heard good about it, nothing bad for sure. search it and youll see alot of opinions..i have half the ingrediats. just have to order the shock proof and a t-70 online no ones got it.

ODJ
    Maybe do the fuel filter too. It's not difficult, anyway.

Be sure to post some comments about the brake pads you end up using.
    UNSPOILT BY PROGRESS

Quote Originally Posted by ODJ View Post
    Maybe do the fuel filter too. It's not difficult, anyway.

Be sure to post some comments about the brake pads you end up using.
    yes, i'm def. planning on just changing the fuel filter, its easy enough and doesn't hurt.

my main consern is the tranny fluid...i was just wondering if its worth doing or not. i know it certanly won't hurt and i've been researching and most say you'll have smoother shifts but i'm not for sure if its just a mental thing..i know that my car "feels" like it has more power right after an oil change..but i know its not the case.

as far as the pads, i'm thinking about going with hawk HPS pads...i know they don't need to be changed but i may as well upgrade my entire brake system with some new pads as well as the ss brake lines since i'm changing my brake fluid.

i was thinking about going with motul brake fluid...any thoughts or comments/suggestions?

and i'm also going to go with a K&N drop in filter.

please any suggestions or useful links to important treads would be apprecated...there's a chance that i may have missed something either at NASIOC or here or any other subie forum.

thanks for the input. i'll have a final write up of what exaclty i had done and what i used and my impressions on all products used.

as of now my plans for my 30k are as follows:

oil/filter
    fuel filter
    tranny fluid (most likely USC)
    rear dif fluid (don't know what to use just yet)
    brake fluid (most likely motul) SS brake lines, brake pads (Hawk HPS)
    coolent
    air filter (K&N)

all washers etc.. will be changed as well.

any thing i'm missing or should just have done....let me know
    Last edited by abhiwan; 10-08-2007 at 10:36 AM. Reason: list of things to do
    2012 VW GLI
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #011

That all sounds like a good plan. As for the tranny fluid, I would definetely recommend changing it at 30K. I've changed mine every 30K and my 02 Bugeye tranny thanks me for it every day. It's super easy to do. Also, for the rear diff, I use Redline 75W90NS. It's what Cobb recommends and it has worked well for me.
    Try not, do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda
    Mods

I Support ClubWRX
    For the cost and time involved, a tranny and diff fluid change should be at the top of everyone's list. It certainly can't hurt and will likely help if you plan on keeping the car for a while.

As for the coolant change though, if you are doing it yourself, you might want to reconsider. It's a bit of a PITA, and the seemingly never-ending burping that goes on aftewards can get a bit tedious.

With today's modern coolants, I personally don't even consider changing them out for at least 60K. In fact, I tend to follow the manufacturer's recommendations for this (and usually only this as all other fluids are normally changed out earlier). For instance, my Prius won't see a drop of coolant until it reaches 100K. I sent off samples for my LGT at 80K and it was basically fresh stuff...with little leaching and hardly any iron oxide or aluminum content.

As with the other fluids though, it certainly can't hurt.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

YB, where do you send coolant samples for analysis?
    Try not, do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda
    Mods

Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07 View Post
    For the cost and time involved, a tranny and diff fluid change should be at the top of everyone's list. It certainly can't hurt and will likely help if you plan on keeping the car for a while.

As for the coolant change though, if you are doing it yourself, you might want to reconsider. It's a bit of a PITA, and the seemingly never-ending burping that goes on aftewards can get a bit tedious.

With today's modern coolants, I personally don't even consider changing them out for at least 60K. In fact, I tend to follow the manufacturer's recommendations for this (and usually only this as all other fluids are normally changed out earlier). For instance, my Prius won't see a drop of coolant until it reaches 100K. I sent off samples for my LGT at 80K and it was basically fresh stuff...with little leaching and hardly any iron oxide or aluminum content.

As with the other fluids though, it certainly can't hurt.
    awesome...i wasn't planning on doing it myself but I will take your word and reconsider changing out my coolent.
    2012 VW GLI
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #011

so i've been doing little more reading and i've been hearing that with 06+ you really don't see much of a difference in feel with USC.

any hawkeyes have input on this?

will post question on the hawkeye thread
    2012 VW GLI
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #011

Banned
    Ive been wanting to do tranny oil too , but ive been told it can negatively impact the engine and what not .. i think DTR told me this if not mistaken

Quote Originally Posted by subz View Post
    Ive been wanting to do tranny oil too , but ive been told it can negatively impact the engine and what not .. i think DTR told me this if not mistaken
    i don't see how it can effect the motor, i remember reading some threads about how it may compremise the strength of the gears. something to do with synthetic being thinner then conventional oil. unless i have my facts wrong.
    2012 VW GLI
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #011

found it has to do with being harsher on the syncros
    2012 VW GLI
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #011

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.