30k around the corner - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on 30k around the corner within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i am in the same boat as you, but iam at 21k and going to PTuning on the 17th to ...

i am in the same boat as you, but iam at 21k and going to PTuning on the 17th to change out the fluids in the trans and rear diff, been looking at hawk street pads and ss lines also keep us informed
    I cried when Optimus Prime died did you ?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #?, down for the cause
    Soon to be Stage 2

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by psychobooe View Post
    YB, where do you send coolant samples for analysis?
    Right here:
    http://www.polarislabs1.com/coolant-analysis.htm

Select the "buy it now" option on the left, then "Test Kits" then "single test", then the Level 1 Coolant test. It's about 20 bucks or so if I remember. Very fast service too. They also do fuel and oil too if you are interested.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

I Support ClubWRX
    FYI...I just used a higher spec 90NS oil for the diff and trans...never had any issues. Redline is my preferred brand.

Also..if you are looking at the hawk pads, for a bit more the Ferodo 2500S provide a much better return on investment (ie...better braking, wear, rotor durability, etc). Same amount of dusting though. For the brake fluid, some Motul blue or red is just hunkey dorey. SS lines are ALWAYS a good investment...totally changes the brake linearity and modulation.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Banned
    USC is good stuff. Very worth the little extra. I still need to change my colant

After some running around. I found all the stuff I need for USC. I'm actually having my service done at Metric Subaru. I don't have time to do it on my own. So I have to bite the bullet and spend the cash and have it done.

I asked about having the SS lines installed and they said they will charge me for 3 hours of labor. Does that sound like a lot?
    2012 VW GLI
    2012 Toyota Sienna LE AWD (thats right...swagger wagon)
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #011

ODJ
    3 hours of labor just for the brake lines?

At first glance, I assumed this was a gross over-estimate. However, on second thought, I actually have to say that it might be about right.

Actually swapping the brake lines isn't very hard, although you have to be somewhat careful not to round off the nuts on the fittings. This is most likely accounts for one hour of labor (it might not really take an hour, but I doubt any service department would charge you for less than an hour).

Once the lines are replaced, you have to give the brake system a good bleeding. This is task is fairly tedious and it does take while to make sure all the air has been forced out of the system. The catch here is that a brake bleed takes 2 guys to complete and that accounts for two more hours of labor, giving us a total of 3 hours.

Good luck with your service, I hope everything goes smoothly.
    UNSPOILT BY PROGRESS

Do the brake lines yourself. It's not that hard. Just get a buddy to help you bleed the brakes when you're done. Here's a great write-up from Peaty over at scoobymods.com.
    http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/sho...ht=brake+lines
    Try not, do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda
    Mods

I want to do the entire service myself. I just don't have the time. I'm driving down to FL next week and I just don't the time.

I actually have another question...so i have all the components for the uncle scotty's...I also came across Royal Purple synthetic snycromesh....could i sub that for the Penzoil? do you think that may work out better? has anyone subed it for the penzoil?

thanks for the imput
    2012 VW GLI
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #011

uncle scotty's coctail is awesome!

I was going to do my service on my own..but last minute I found out I have to move down to Miami for 4 months so i just didn't have the time. So I went to MSPT to have my serivce done. they gave me a loaner (07 forester 2.5, nice car, roomy and handled well)

I switched out to SS brake lines. And i used Uncle Scotty's Coctail with a little tweek...I used RP syncromax insead of the penzoil. its a night and day difference. the tranny almost feels reminiscent of my RSX-s tranny (almost being the key word). much more smoother..i highly recomend this coctail for any WRX owner.

As far as the SS lines. I didn't switch out my brake pads and i'm using OE brake fluid so its not that significant, the brakes aren't as mushy and feel firm. I don't have the time nor the money to get pads but when i do i think i'll be going with the ferodo's.

i had my old spark plug wires replaced (OE). as well as all the other goodies.

overall very happy with my car. runs better then when i got it from the showroom, geting better mpg, and I can hear my RCV again. i went with an STI filter. i don't know how much different they are then the OE wrx filter.

now tomorrow I start my drive down to FL. my car is well preped for the journey at hand. wish me luck!
    Last edited by abhiwan; 10-24-2007 at 07:49 PM.
    2012 VW GLI
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #011

Quote Originally Posted by abhiwan View Post
    i had my old spark plug wires replaced (OE).
    Just a head's up, the WRX doesn't have spark plug wires. There's a coil pack directly on each spark plug. There shouldn't ever be a need to replace the coil packs unless they are malfunctioning. I hope they didn't just tell you that you needed new spark plug wires and then charge you for nothing. I'm sure they didn't, but I wouldn't be surprised if a shop tried to pull that.
    Try not, do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda
    Mods

Quote Originally Posted by psychobooe View Post
    Just a head's up, the WRX doesn't have spark plug wires. There's a coil pack directly on each spark plug. There shouldn't ever be a need to replace the coil packs unless they are malfunctioning. I hope they didn't just tell you that you needed new spark plug wires and then charge you for nothing. I'm sure they didn't, but I wouldn't be surprised if a shop tried to pull that.
    <---noob

they gave me a list of things that are usually done, and it was on the list. I didn't pay for the full price they suggested for the 30k service (considerably less), so i'd assume that they didn't charge me for phantom wires, i was just going down the list, and it poped out at me. i'm mistaken and they didn't change any coil packs.

in any case they are a respected dealerhip in the NY area. I actually drove a bit out of my way to have my service done there. most of the techs are WRX/STI owners and i talked to a few of them. nice guys. overall i was very happy with my service.
    2012 VW GLI
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #011

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12