Cranks but won't start

This is a discussion on Cranks but won't start within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Driving car up driveway and stalled it. The engine now cranks over but won't start. Checked spark and all good. ...

Cranks but won't start

Driving car up driveway and stalled it. The engine now cranks over but won't start. Checked spark and all good. No fuel pump noise when turning ignition on. Any suggestions guys.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Is the driveway inclined? Check fuel level. Check all fuses and links. Check fuel delivery. Why did it stall? Are you sure it stalled and didn't just fail (stop because the motor stopped running)? The stock pump is very reliable -- is it the stock pump?

Does the starter whiiiirrrr but can't engage the flywheel? Try giving it a smart smack on the side with a soft mallet.

If you're under warranty and can't sort it out make a phone call.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 10-05-2007 at 06:06 AM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by timmo View Post
    No fuel pump noise when turning ignition on. Any suggestions guys.
    I think you answered your own question. If your fuel pump stopped pumping fuel that'd be a good reason to stall and not be able to turn the car on.

I would start looking there.

Check the fuses and everything for the pump. What year, what mods, how many miles, any siblings, etc... all the usual questions everyone's gonna ask.

This same type of problem has come up once before shortly after i purchased the car and stalled it while reversing up a hill. That time it would only crank over for about a minute of trying to start the car, but then it managed to start and i haven't had any problems till now.

This time it was a family member who parked it on our driveway and forgot about the turbo timer which was still running when she released the clutch and stalled it.

The first time it was stalled i tried to start it straight away and it ran after a bit. But the second time the car was left for a few hours before we tried to start it. From what it looks like i think it's a problem with the fuel pump, but it's just odd that it only occurs after it has been stalled.

As for mods and the like, the car has been pretty much kept stock. The only additions are a GReddy Turbo Timer and a Boost Controller.

Any help would be great.

Banned
    Two things. Turbo timers are pointless on any WRX.

And, it's your fuel pump or something related to it. I can't explain the correlation between stalling and you not starting again though.

But if you turn the car to "on" and you don't hear the whine of the fuel pump something's wrong, and that should be the first place you look.

You need the engine to crank, sparks from the plugs, and fuel to start the car. You're battery's not dead, you said it's sparking fine so your plugs and more importantly your distributer's fine, so that leaves fuel. And you said you don't hear the fuel pump when you put the car to "on". So... Since the car started eventually it's not a fuse blowing.

And since the car eventually started and ran fine it's probably n ot the fuel pump itself but something that controls the fuel pump.

I'm just rambling about what's going through my head so.. I dunno.

Did you get the car started yet? Just keep cranking it. I had a similar problem and it took FOREVER to get fuel back into the engine and then i tstarted.

Alright it turns out that it was just a faulty (stock) fuel pump. Removed it completely and hooked it straight up to a battery and it ran up fine. Stuck it back in and the car is working normally. Guess i will just have to give it a tap with a hammer next time it does this until i can afford a new one. The car has 200 000 k's on it so everything is getting old.

Still seems odd to me that it only happens after the car is stalled. Anyways thanks for the advice guys.

over 200K?! no wonder y
    sure as hell ain't your grandma's wagon