Car Choking, going nowhere.

This is a discussion on Car Choking, going nowhere. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi all, just bought a MY04 WRX. had the car for three weeks after i bought it from the dealer. ...

Car Choking, going nowhere.

Hi all,

just bought a MY04 WRX.

had the car for three weeks after i bought it from the dealer.

problem started couple of days ago, when i tried to pull out of the carpark and the car started choking, i would pull the accelerator and no petrol was getting through.

waited a few minutes and it was back again, then the car would start but engine would stop as no petrol was getting through. mechanic guy came and he banged on the petrol tank and it started again, he told me not to stop the engine and take it straight to the dealership which i did.

got the car back from the dealership and they told me it was some loose wires on the immobeliser which was cutting the fuel pump out.

the car has been running ok for one day but it did give me the 'choking' once.

now should i take it back to the dealer and get them to check the fuel pump? or is it the immobiliser wires??

pls help lamagy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It's probably the fuel pump. A bearing in the motor wears over time and can seize up. By banging on it, it breaks it free temporarily.

There's also a chance it's the fuel filter. If that filter is clogged, it could cause a fuel starvation condition as well.

Either way, bring it back to the dealer.

thanks Subypsycho,

i told them the first time that it was the fuel pump, but i guess they tried the cheaper option to try and fix the immobeliser cables.

i'll see how it goes.