Air conditioning suggestions

This is a discussion on Air conditioning suggestions within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; All, My air conditioning went out at lunch yesterday, and by quitting time, it was working for 10-15 minutes. I ...

Air conditioning suggestions

All,
    My air conditioning went out at lunch yesterday, and by quitting time, it was working for 10-15 minutes. I took it to the shop this morning, and they checked it, recommended that they pull a vacuum, recharge, and test it. So, they did that, and they're saying that the low side of the system is reading -30 (they didn't give a value), and the high side was normal (~150 (I'm assuming PSI for both)).

They're saying that my compressor is bad, and they need to replace the expansion valve, receiver/dryer, and they want to charge me ~500 in labor total.

I found this thread: It's getting very warm outside.....need A/C help that has some good instructions on the expansion valve replacement, but I was wondering if anybody else agrees with the diagnosis on this.

Thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Everything you said sounds correct....is their price for parts and labor, or labor only? You can always have them evacuate all the refrigerant and swap out the parts then have it recharged, just be careful not to get the o-rings kinked or dirty