Smoke and liquid near turbo
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Smoke and liquid near turbo within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; On my way home from work yesterday I was noticeing some smells coming frome the car. I didn't think any ...

Banned

Smoke and liquid near turbo

On my way home from work yesterday I was noticeing some smells coming frome the car. I didn't think any thing of it because the windows were down and I though it was normal. After geting home I stop the car and there is smoke coming from under the hood. I pop the hood imedeately and see that the smoke is located around and under the trubo. I get the car up on stands and find a brown tanish residue causing the burning. It doesn't look like oil. It is more tan and sluge ish. Kind of gloppy. I have yet to investigate further but I will be on it tell I figure out where this stuff came from. I have my assumptions as to what it might be though.

-blew turrbo?
    -bad joint near tranny housing
    -power steering somthing.

Any insight will kick ass. Even the your a dumb ass kind

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    sounds like oil/water mix.. possible turbo failure in your near future... check your oil dipstick for the 'chocolate milk' look...
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

I Support ClubWRX
    Think positive. It could just be that a bolt or two worked their way loose, especially if you did the up pipe relatively recently.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Banned
    Ok so I pull of the heat sheild and there is not much residue on it. Then I get my skid plate off and find most of the goupe located around one of the power steering things. It is were the metal fiting ataches to the ruber part ot the ?rack?. I don't know ish about the power steering system of the car but it seems to me that the connection between the two may have failed. I also have noticed the belt fo the power steering pump has failed as in shreaded. I think this is the root of my problem. I have notcied some squeeks from the engine bay but have failed to investigate.

Thank god my mighty TD04 ain't dead.

Anyone have any advise on how to fix this leak I can post up pics of the fiting if needed. I'll be on the search for info as well.

Banned
    So I am almost 100% positive I have a power steering leak. I picked up some fluid at the auto parts store that is made to stop power steering fluid leaks. Does anynoe know if this stuff will work?

power steering stop leak doesn't work.....is the p/s hose leaking out onto the turbo? Replace the part that's leaking and check the pump when you replace the belt.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by evilenv View Post
    power steering stop leak doesn't work.....is the p/s hose leaking out onto the turbo? Replace the part that's leaking and check the pump when you replace the belt.
    Ya, the leak is spraying on to the down pipe. I changed out the ac and power steering belts yesterday. Everything runs fine its just squirting the liquid on to the down pipe I am going to see if I can find a replacement hose online.

Does anyone know how to drain the power steering system

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Not-EWRX View Post
    Ya, the leak is spraying on to the down pipe. I changed out the ac and power steering belts yesterday. Everything runs fine its just squirting the liquid on to the down pipe I am going to see if I can find a replacement hose online.
    glad you found the issue.. try http://www.overnightautoparts.com
    Does anyone know how to drain the power steering system
    yeah, take the line off and have a bucket handy

that's really it, afaik. that's all I've ever done, anyway. take a pair of vice grips, and on the soft return line at the reservoir, wrap a rag around it, and pinch it closed. this will help keep from draining the tank...
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

this is god's way of getting you back for not hitting it.

Quote Originally Posted by efmd3 View Post
    this is god's way of getting you back for not hitting it.
    every thread i swear
    2004 VW GLI "Back In Boost "

Quote Originally Posted by KanoWRX View Post
    well...IMO, or IMI (In My Imagination) WRX's/STi's are still better that Evo's...hands down...despise the facts.........

Quote Originally Posted by xMDxWRX View Post
    every thread i swear
    btw, naughty, glad to hear your turbo isn't a nice paperweight

Banned
    So the part that is leaking is a
    34610 $206.25 Hose assembly-power steeringFits: S.WRX+W.WRX

And it is 206$ Is there any way I can just repair the one I have.

Please help me here I don't want to end up geting raped by the stealership to do this. I should just get under there and weld the ISH out of it. That would seal her up nicely.

Banned
    Here is a picture of the assembly I need. It is picured on the far right. The fiting that is bad is the one that is at the very bottom. This is were it attaches to the rack. It is squirting out of the top. As in up in this picture. Does anyone know if this could be fixed with some high quality sealant or something.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Right over here^
    Last edited by Not-EWRX; 09-30-2007 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Not-EWRX View Post
    Here is a picture of the assembly I need. It is picured on the far right. The fiting that is bad is the one that is at the very bottom. This is were it attaches to the rack. It is squirting out of the top. As in up in this picture. Does anyone know if this could be fixed with some high quality sealant or something.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Right over here^
    pic doesn't really help, but it seems that if you'd hit it this wouldn't be a problem

Banned
    here is the part circled and the direction of the squirting of fluids
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails i346-101.gif  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast