Why Does It Missfire!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Why Does It Missfire! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; just got an 06 Sti from a local guy/friend but i'm haveing one killer issue. When ever the car gets ...

Why Does It Missfire!

just got an 06 Sti from a local guy/friend

but i'm haveing one killer issue.

When ever the car gets "hot" say stuck in traffic for a sec or driving for a long while it gets this WICKED misfire.

its throwing misfire codes from all the cylinders and at totally random times across those 4.

i don't know if all the coil packs are going to **** or what!?

I've tried 2 pairs of spark plugs (1 stock set, 1 one-step colder) as well as adding in plenty of die-electric grease.

i just put a fresh tank of 93oct in it and no fix there either.

the car does have 2 busted mounts from the guy who drove it last, before i got it that is

the drive side motor mount and anti pitch mount are gone. i'm replacing them all with group N equipment tomorrow after work.

(he must have beat the **** out of it)

I'm stumped by this dam car, any one have any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    What flywheel are you using? Other mods? Compression? Is the timing belt on correctly or has it jumped a tooth?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    What flywheel are you using? Other mods? Compression? Is the timing belt on correctly or has it jumped a tooth?
    the cars got an twin plate excedy carbon-carbon clutch with there lightweight flyweel, its NEVER acted like this before.

as for the timing belt i have no idea how to check for that issue.

it seems to me that if the engines timing was off it would act weird all all ECT's

I Support ClubWRX
    does it have a BOV? Is their computer tuning on it? Does it have a MBC?
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    does it have a BOV? Is their computer tuning on it? Does it have a MBC?
    its got the stock re-circ valve on it.

only tune on the car is to disable the rear 02cel from the cat-back and down pipe

no MBC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 06lack View Post
    its got the stock re-circ valve on it.

only tune on the car is to disable the rear 02cel from the cat-back and down pipe

no MBC
    You have a DP and no engine management? Thats your problem. Get a tune, you are leaning out and misfiring.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    You have a DP and no engine management? Thats your problem. Get a tune, you are leaning out and misfiring.
    then why is this only happening now? (after 35k)

and why no engine lean code?

(dont think i'm being a ****, just asking a question)

I Support ClubWRX
    then why is this only happening now? (after 35k)

and why no engine lean code?

(dont think i'm being a ****, just asking a question)
    dunno maybe your fuel filter is clogged and its making it worse.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Does the intake look stock? Especially if it is oiled clean the MAF. It is a very easy place to start. Also any leak between the MAF and the turbo can be a problem. The turbo will suck in air and cause a lean condition. After that I would look at the fuel filter, again just because its cheap and easy.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Does the intake look stock? Especially if it is oiled clean the MAF. It is a very easy place to start. Also any leak between the MAF and the turbo can be a problem. The turbo will suck in air and cause a lean condition. After that I would look at the fuel filter, again just because its cheap and easy.
    it is a stock intake, that much i do know

also, i'll check the maf again but i do know the turbo intake pipeing is tight, as i just checked it tonight.

question tho...if it was maf, wouldn't it be an issue at all ECTs?

i cant think of any maf table i've ever seen that ties into ECT....

thanks guys.

also, where is the fuel filter located?

Quote Originally Posted by armysti View Post
    thanks!

i'll swap that tomorrow as well.

any other ideas guys?

I Support ClubWRX
    it is a stock intake, that much i do know

also, i'll check the maf again but i do know the turbo intake pipeing is tight, as i just checked it tonight.

question tho...if it was maf, wouldn't it be an issue at all ECTs?

i cant think of any maf table i've ever seen that ties into ECT....

thanks guys.

also, where is the fuel filter located?
    I really have no clue what ECTs are. I can't find anything searching either. Are you talking about the external temperature? Heat soak will exacerbate the issue because of the charge temperature.

Next thing I would do is take off the intercooler and see if it is full of oil. It will also cause misfires. There should only be a little in there at most. See if the throttle body is clean while your in there.

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    I really have no clue what ECTs are. I can't find anything searching either. Are you talking about the external temperature? Heat soak will exacerbate the issue because of the charge temperature.

Next thing I would do is take off the intercooler and see if it is full of oil. It will also cause misfires. There should only be a little in there at most. See if the throttle body is clean while your in there.
    sry....ECT= Engine coolant temp

when i do the mounts tomorrow i'll have the IC off and i'll check for oil and general dirt.

I Support ClubWRX
    I did a lot of searching and got some good advice when I had audible ping not too long ago. Here is a list of possibilities pasted from my thread. Engine managment would be a very good consideration for you and you could do some logs, they might help.

Results from searches:

1)Cobb map is conservative, runs rich. Should be trusted.
    or (take your pick on the thread)
    Cobb map is actually leaner than stock - never heard of anyone running Cali 91 map on 93 octane, but is a possibility.

2) PCV valve - should be changed every 15K miles, or never (take your pick). Mine was fine.

2.a) Oil catch can - not done.

3) Turbo oil seals shot - seems not. No oil in downpipe, not much in intercooler

4) Engine deposits - can cause preignition as well, or increase compression and otherwise cause spark knock (at issue here). Finishing 1st tank with synpower cleaner.

5) Spark plugs - do show signs of detonation (metal balls stuck to ceter electrode). Plugs replaced with OEM gapped to .028 (yesterday, not tested hard yet).

6) Blow by - oil in intake, reduces octane. Check compression.

7) Elevation - Colorado people say 91 octane = 93 octane there, should be a safeguard
    or
    Need higher octane at high elevation (web auto professionals and occasional threads)

8) Boost - peaks at 15.8 settles at 15 then tapers. Compensation map in ECU reduces peak boost by 1 PSI per ~3500' IIRC, so normal stage II numbers.

9) Vacuum issues (haven't figured out how to check system yet).

10) Injectors plugged, tired, or imbalanced (40K miles, always top tier gas, never cleaned). Unlikely - all four cylinders are affected.

11) MAF or Temp sensor problem.

12) Dealer - go parade my just installed stage II setup and void my warranty on a totally unabused motor with a potentially bad ring land. Get unheard of and unreported "ping" reflash that was never mentioned when I was there complaining about ping.

13) Knock Sensor? Don't know how to test that.

14) Head gasket??? I guess I should add this because I have had to burp the coolant a few times recently. I had a small coolant leak from a line a while back but it was supposedly corrected/pressure tested at the dealer. The system was then flushed at 30K (dealer) and there has never been any indication of overheating.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast