Failed Inspection for monitors "Not Ready"???
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Failed Inspection for monitors "Not Ready"??? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So i took my suby to get oil, rear diff, and manual tranny fluid replaced as well as an inspection... ...

Failed Inspection for monitors "Not Ready"???

So i took my suby to get oil, rear diff, and manual tranny fluid replaced as well as an inspection...

The car failed the inspection cause the "Catalyst", "Evap.", and "02 Sens" Monitors came back as "Not Ready"

They asked me if i had unplugged the battery latley as this will cause you to need to cycle the car for 50-100 miles before these monitors reset to "Ready"

I havent had it unplugged but very recently i used my Actron to clear some codes... does that consitute as a reset of the entire system causing it to need to cycle again? If yes how many miles do i need to get them back to ready? If no what could be causing this issue and how can i get them back to "Ready"???
    Bugeye Mafia #125 - And Proud Of It!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    You cleared codes? That means there were faults anyway. Had the system not reported "not ready" you'd have failed regardless due to the codes. To get rid of the "not ready" status you must fix the faults and go through a some cycles (don't recall how many).

This assumes no EM. If you are using EM, check your particular EM's documentation.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    You cleared codes? That means there were faults anyway. Had the system not reported "not ready" you'd have failed regardless due to the codes. To get rid of the "not ready" status you must fix the faults and go through a some cycles (don't recall how many).

This assumes no EM. If you are using EM, check your particular EM's documentation.
    Yes... the codes where some fake misfire codes im now plauged with from time to time thanks to my lightened flywheel (God i want my stock flywheel back!! well.. its not that much of a pain really!)

But your saying the clearing of the codes will reset the entire ECU setting those monitors back to "Not Ready"?

FYI, I use a UTEC

The same thing happened to my 04 WRX running the cobb accessport. I swapped back to stock and it was reading 'not ready'. It literally took my car like 300 miles of driving to get it to reset and like 3 trips to the inspections station....BIG pain.

You have to run the car like 0-80, then brake to 20, then take it to 35, then brake to 15 to run the car through its 'cycles'. Driving 65 on the highway for a week isnt gonna do the trick.

Banned
    sounds like a nightmare

so where saying clearing the codes is resetting the monitors and causing me to hhave to redo several cycles? I understand what the problem is just trying to determine if the clearing of the codes is what caused it

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMainFrame View Post
    so where saying clearing the codes is resetting the monitors and causing me to hhave to redo several cycles?
    I believe so from what you've described.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Well a Jays05 on Nasioc gave me some great info... clearing the CEL's did cause the reset and like you have all said it will need to be cycled till there back to ready.. he also pointed out that my model of Actron ODBII displays weither or not there set to ready so there wont be any guessing on my part as to when I can get it reinspected!

Now i just need to find me some specifics on what it takes to reset them and ill be ready to roll!

fortunately there aren't many monitors to run. the best bet to get the most monitors to run and set to "DONE" is to start the car dead cold (8 hours cold soak), let it idle for about 5 minutes, then drive on the freeway nice and steady (use cruise control if possible) for at least 20 min solid, then come to a stop and idle again for 5 minutes. that should run most of them, unfortunately the one (typicallys EVAP or CAT) that didn't run usually needs to have the above repeated until it will run again. with my 05 WRX i've found the monitors aren't as difficult to run as some other manufacturers (Ford's cat monitor or any VW/Audi monitor).

by the way, what kind of "inspection" did you have to have done? i'm curious because in CA we need all but 2 monitors to run for a smog inspection...
    Blobeye Syndicate #75
    2005 OBP WRX Sport Wagon
    Stewart Warner Boost & Oil temp gauges / OEM 20 mm rear bar
    Cobb stg 2 / STi uppipe / Crucial Racing downpipe
    Stromung 2.5" catless centerpipe / Scooby Sport New Age centre pipe & backbox

Quote Originally Posted by 68sprintb View Post
    fortunately there aren't many monitors to run. the best bet to get the most monitors to run and set to "DONE" is to start the car dead cold (8 hours cold soak), let it idle for about 5 minutes, then drive on the freeway nice and steady (use cruise control if possible) for at least 20 min solid, then come to a stop and idle again for 5 minutes. that should run most of them, unfortunately the one (typicallys EVAP or CAT) that didn't run usually needs to have the above repeated until it will run again. with my 05 WRX i've found the monitors aren't as difficult to run as some other manufacturers (Ford's cat monitor or any VW/Audi monitor).

by the way, what kind of "inspection" did you have to have done? i'm curious because in CA we need all but 2 monitors to run for a smog inspection...
    It was a Texas Saftey and Emissions test...

all the paper work says about what kinda of test is..

Test: ODBII
    Test Type: Initial
    Version: 0702

Other then that its just results

It's simple.

Catless, in NJ - I plug in and pass. AP+ST and a resistor in one O2 sensor. With ST you can toggle DTC's, when they are off they are not reported. After the TGV's were removed, I needed the ST to kill the DTC for TGV readings.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Gosh darn my o2 and Evap monitors are ready but that pesky catalyst monitor is still "Not Ready"!

I hope its soon as i hate driving with a expired inspection sticker!

Any tricks to speeding up the catalyst monitor?
    Last edited by TheMainFrame; 09-27-2007 at 12:36 PM.

cold start followed by freeway driving at a constant speed above 55 mph...
    Blobeye Syndicate #75
    2005 OBP WRX Sport Wagon
    Stewart Warner Boost & Oil temp gauges / OEM 20 mm rear bar
    Cobb stg 2 / STi uppipe / Crucial Racing downpipe
    Stromung 2.5" catless centerpipe / Scooby Sport New Age centre pipe & backbox

drive the vehicle 55 mph for 15 mins....it will ready your systems...sometimes it takes 2-3 cycles if a fault is picked up...it wont ready till it passes 3 times with no fault..
    New England F4

feel free to pm me with any questions..

Need Help Please!!! ODBII Monitors

So here is what I'm facing and I'm having a very difficult time deciding what the best course of action is...

Let me lay it out in detail

Well My inspection sticker is expired and i need to get inspected. However when I went to get the vehicle inspected they found several of my OBDII monitors set to not ready which was apparantly was a result of clearing a CEL with an Actron Scanner.

The problem is this however, I have a lightweight flywheel which is considerable lighter then the stock flywheel which causes my ECU to throw MIsfire codes when infact there are no misfires. This is a well know problem with WRX's and is experainced by just about everyone that lightens there flywheel to the extent I have (13ilb flywheel)

Now all the ODBII monitors set themselves to ready rather quickly and are not a problem. However, the catalyst monitor is whats giving me the problems. I can maybe get 250-300 miles before one of my misfire codes get thrown causing a CEL which has to be cleared in order to get the car inspected but i cant seem to get the catalyst monitor to set itself to "ready" within the 250 miles.

What can i do short of replacing the flywheel with a closer to stock weight thereby getting rid of the CEL problem.

Id imagine there is a certain routine that the catalyst monitor needs to set itself to ready but i cannot seem to find out the definite answer to what the process is...

Any suggestion would be beyond apprechiated as im not sure where to move on from here.

My car is a 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX

here is a list of just the upgrades in the same catagory as the problem

TurboXS UTEC w/ Stage 3 Map
    TurboXS Catless Up-pipe
    Invidia High-Flow Catted Downpipe
    Borla Hush Cat-back Exhuast
    Exedy Stage 1 Organic Clutch
    Streetlight flywheel

HELP!!
    ________

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast