Newb - Error codes Galore!!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Newb - Error codes Galore!! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey, This site is a great resource. Thank you guys! Like many on here I see – I am also ...

Newb - Error codes Galore!!

Hey,

This site is a great resource. Thank you guys!

Like many on here I see – I am also an old school DSM’er who just sold my 91 Galant VR4 and purchased an 02 WRX Wagon. I absolutely love it. I have had every kind of DSM from a stock 1990 AWD to owning David Buschur’s old backhalved 1G RWD Talon. I currently own a 1992 Eagle Talon with 58K original miles on it which has gone a best of 10.5 @ 137. I also buy and restore DSMs.

I bought my 02 from a private seller down in CT – have been driving it two weeks with no engine codes. Car has Prodrive cat back – and Perrin short ram intake. Otherwise stock engine. The person I bought it from did say the previous owner before him may have had an ECU flash – but he was not sure.

Well I went today to change the boost gauge from the Suby steering column mounted one measuring in MPA ??? YUCK! To a “normal” PSI one  Seemed like a simple enough job!

To do so – I took off intercooler – (To get to grommet in firewall -- that I found out later I did not need to go through) took off BOV – took off throttlebody and did mild port job to eliminate step on intake side of TB (this was not needed for boost gauge - but I was there!). Wired light from boost gauge to purple cruise control wire going to cruise control switch in panel under steering column. (this wire received power when car on and lights turned on).

I disconnected the battery (not thinking and dis-connected the positive terminal instead of the negative). The battery was disconnected for about 2 hours.

I go to start the car up – and the check engine light comes on! It is flashing like mad!

My code reader says it has 6 codes! Here are the codes as they appear on the reader device:

P0500 Veh Speed Sensor A
    P1518 Idle speed control
    P1591 Idle speed control auto inputs
    P0136 bank 1 sensor circuit malfunction
    P0136 (bank 1 sensor 2)
    P0131 02 sensor circuit low volts bank 1 sensor 1

I tried to clear them and it says they are cleared. Turned the car off came back later and the same codes are there again. I did not get a chance to drive the car. Also I am not sure if it is worth mentioning – when I turn the ignition switch to the on position my fans are cycling on and off like crazy and there is a clicking sound from engine bay.

I did not get to drive the car around – Will doing that re-set the ECU and then I can make the codes go away permanently? Will they go away if I drive the car a few times and put some miles and few trips on it?

Boy, I am a freakin Subie NEWB!

Anyone have any experience with this type of possession! Or any suggestions -- Beyond that I should have stayed with simple 1G DSMs 

Thanks in advance.

--Bruce Kwartler
    www.punisher-racer.com
    92 Eagle Talon (10.5 @ 137)
    02 Subie WRX (slower than that by much!)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Take the intercooler back off and double check all the electrical connections, probably left one off, like a TPS sensor.....and double check everything..... I don't know where it is in the throttle body that you ported, but it's not changing clearance between the butterfly valve and the side of the TB, is it?

I just ported the side that goes out to intercooler. just halfway down to get rid of ridge and smooth out outer edges. I was not close to butterfly. I will try that (going through everything again). Seems like everything is connected. But a re-do seems worth it. Thanks.

after you check to make sure all the wiring is not disturbed in the engine bay, disconnect the light from the purple wire and see if the "Speed sensor circuit A" code returns after a code reset. the idle control may be a loose wire in the engine bay or you may have upset the air flow enough for the PCM to notice and throw the code. in that case you need to go back to stock (maybe a new intake...).
    Blobeye Syndicate #75
    2005 OBP WRX Sport Wagon
    Stewart Warner Boost & Oil temp gauges / OEM 20 mm rear bar
    Cobb stg 2 / STi uppipe / Crucial Racing downpipe
    Stromung 2.5" catless centerpipe / Scooby Sport New Age centre pipe & backbox

Okay - so it ended up being something I thought too small to mention.

While I was fishing the wires and vacuum hose through the drivers side under the dash -- I saw a green connector that was un-done. I connected that.

A local dyno I go to -- when I told them my story said "seems like your car is in test mode." "Did you connect a connector under the dash?"

I said "sure did" and they told me that puts my car in some kind of test mode. I disconnected that connector and all my codes are gone!

Ultimate Newbie screwup.

Thank you for your help and suggestions though guys.

--Bruce K.

wow test mode tosses a speed sensor error code, that's f'd up.

I'd have spent hours scouring the harness as I'm sure you did.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce K 2K2 WRX View Post
    Okay - so it ended up being something I thought too small to mention.

While I was fishing the wires and vacuum hose through the drivers side under the dash -- I saw a green connector that was un-done. I connected that.

A local dyno I go to -- when I told them my story said "seems like your car is in test mode." "Did you connect a connector under the dash?"

I said "sure did" and they told me that puts my car in some kind of test mode. I disconnected that connector and all my codes are gone!

Ultimate Newbie screwup.

Thank you for your help and suggestions though guys.

--Bruce K.
    ...Thanks you, thank you, thank you...I just recently had that exact same problem...and thanks to you I fixed it ...

~Kano~
    [God Bless You]
    Custom Catback Race Exhaust (3" piping + 4'5" tip tilted upward left). Blitz SUS Power Air Intake Filter. F1 Racing Stage 3 Clutch Kit. Titanium STi shifter. Blitz Dual Turbo Timer DC IV. ViS Carbon Fiber Hood. Blitz Super Sound Dual Drive BOV.
    Bugeye Mafioso #149
    www.myspace.com/kano07

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.