BLI Issue

This is a discussion on BLI Issue within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi Guys, Hopefully someone can point me to the right direction...I've only had my 02 WRX Sedan for a few ...

BLI Issue

Hi Guys,

Hopefully someone can point me to the right direction...I've only had my 02 WRX Sedan for a few months now and I've been happy with it...until this morning . My "BRAKE" light indicator won't go off (yes I released the parking brake). The "BRAKE" light will remain on for the entire drive and will "intermittently" go off and then come back on.

Any ideas what this means? What should I check out? What can it be?

TIA

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The parking brake is basically a drum brake inside the rear rotors. If the light is occassionally going off, I bet that a spring in the parking brake assembly broke or came loose, which is causing something to be slightly out of place and trip the parking brake sensor. I would remove the rear rotors and check for any broken or unattached springs first.

Banned
    You could try and loosen the set screw located at the parking brake handle. I would try that before tearing into the rear rotor.

Nope, I bet you're low on brake fluid! Just fill it up and you'll be OK

Quote Originally Posted by evilenv View Post
    Nope, I bet you're low on brake fluid! Just fill it up and you'll be OK
    you were right. i checked the brake fluid and it was a little on the low side. it would go off in the morning (cooler outside) and on the drive home from work (warmer) it would never go off. i filled it up to the max line and it hasn't come back since.

but now i'm thinking i have a possible slow leak in the brake lines?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxnoobie02 View Post
    you were right. i checked the brake fluid and it was a little on the low side. it would go off in the morning (cooler outside) and on the drive home from work (warmer) it would never go off. i filled it up to the max line and it hasn't come back since.

but now i'm thinking i have a possible slow leak in the brake lines?
    By all means then get under your car and have a look. Brake leaks are obvious. It is probably just that your brake pads are now thinner, so more fluid is in the caliper itself instead of in the reservoir. This is totally normal but look anyways.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

definetly check for a leak, but I don't think you'll find one

as your brake pads wear the pistons in the calipers extend more, thus they contain more of the brake fluid which is why you were low....check your pads as you are probably close to needing new ones (most likely fronts)....you will need to remove a small amount of fluid from the master cylinder resevoir when you compress the calipers for the new pads to fit