Backfiring for some reason

This is a discussion on Backfiring for some reason within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 2003 WRX with a few mod's - aTurboXS engine managemnt sytem, up pipe, down pipe and exhaust, ...

Backfiring for some reason

I have a 2003 WRX with a few mod's - aTurboXS engine managemnt sytem, up pipe, down pipe and exhaust, a K&N Typhoon short ram and Turbo XS blow off valve. It has run fine for years. Now in the last couple of weeks it has started to backfire when lifting off after medium strong acceleration. I thought maybe some bad gas but this has continued through 3 tanks now. Any ideas? Thanks. JacksonWRX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

missing/backfire

Ive have the same problem 04 wrx misses and backfires anytime I give it more than half throttle. have a couple mods CCAI BOV Im sort of new to the subaru/AWD scene so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Banned
    The noob's are gathering

You guys both have what

BOV FTW!!!!!

The BOV's are making your cars run rich in between shifts and were never made to be put on a subaru. Why you ask. The mass air flow sensor in the car lacks in performance compared to other turbo charged cars such as SRT-4 and Evo's who have MAP(manifold absolute pressure) type sensor.

Take them off and sell them for other parts or the original part. Or don't I don't care. But that is your answer.

I supppose it is fair to ask since the blow off valve has been on the car from the beginning (along with everything else) and it didn't backfire for 4-1/2 years, why now is it a problem? JacksonWRX

you had the full exhaust and BOV and didn't back fire at all?

If all you have is the BOV and stock exhaust then instead of back firing through your catless exhaust it would just Fup your cats in the exhaust
    2004 VW GLI "Back In Boost "

Quote Originally Posted by KanoWRX View Post
    well...IMO, or IMI (In My Imagination) WRX's/STi's are still better that Evo's...hands down...despise the facts.........

Banned
    I don't know! There is far to little information for me to determine. Mod list help. Have you resently gone cat less.
    The Bov HAS been making your car run rich no doubt in my mind.

It might have come out of adustment. I'm no expert on the things. Because they serve no purpose. And frankly they irritate me.

Quote Originally Posted by Not-EWRX View Post
    I don't know! There is far to little information for me to determine. Mod list help. Have you resently gone cat less.
    The Bov HAS been making your car run rich no doubt in my mind.

It might have come out of adustment. I'm no expert on the things. Because they serve no purpose. And frankly they irritate me.

take a chill pill bro

well...IMO, or IMI (In My Imagination) WRX's/STi's are still better that Evo's...hands down...despise the facts.........

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by xMDxWRX View Post
    take a chill pill bro

Anger.

Fart

Quote Originally Posted by Not-EWRX View Post

Anger.

Fart
    i guess that works

running a bov with the stock turbo is lame, troof
    ~Selah

a BOV is bad for a stock wrx/sti, and isnt required when tuned under 20psi+. Read up
    How Fast Can You Afford To Go?