Air Conditioning Problems
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Air Conditioning Problems within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So the other day I was blasting the AC, everything going fine. I park the car for an hour, i ...

Air Conditioning Problems

So the other day I was blasting the AC, everything going fine. I park the car for an hour, i get back in turn the car over and the AC wont work.

When I hit the button it doesnt click or anything. Any ideas? Compressor dead? Leak? Need a recharge?
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    1: Check and see if the compressor spins.
    2: Check for freon.
    3: If there isn't any freon, find the leak, fix the leak, and recharge.
    4: If the compressor siezed, replace the compressor and recharge.
    5: If the compressor is functioning, and the freon is full, check switches and/or temp control.

The compressor was not spinning...

I picked up a recharge kit and filled her up. Compressor spins and AC worked properly.

HOWEVER, after 1 hour of driving with the AC on it no longer works and I can hear a high pitched noise (air flow) like when I first lost the AC.

I guess I have a leak. Ugh.

i had to replace the compressor in my 2003. the A/C worked ok, but was starting to make a belt squeal type noise every once in awhile. i thought the belt was loose or needed replaced. after further inspection, we found it was the compressor going bad. replaced it with a used one for $100 with a year warranty, recharged and it worked fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Hey, being the forum car ADD guy is better than being the forum OG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Well nobody cares what you think, Seth

Quote Originally Posted by GraysonSubaru View Post
    i had to replace the compressor in my 2003. the A/C worked ok, but was starting to make a belt squeal type noise every once in awhile. i thought the belt was loose or needed replaced. after further inspection, we found it was the compressor going bad. replaced it with a used one for $100 with a year warranty, recharged and it worked fine.
    I dont get any noises like that. I really think it must be a leak since after an hour the AC stopped working. ugh. must be a small leak.

Luckily its in the 60's and 70's this week. Hopefully it stays like that till October and gets cold. I dont feel like spending $300 to get this fixed a Subaru.

Get your self some a/c diy and put in the system. Then run it and look at all yout a/c lines with a blacklight. THe dye will show up in the light and you have found your leak.

Leaking A/C

+1

Quote Originally Posted by juicedz View Post
    Get your self some a/c diy and put in the system. Then run it and look at all yout a/c lines with a blacklight. THe dye will show up in the light and you have found your leak.
    My kit didnt come w/ the dye. But even if i found it i would have to replace the piping...not sure if thats worth it for a month or less of AC driving.

Sounds like 4 doors = 4 windows coming down.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by D0WNxSH1FT View Post
    My kit didnt come w/ the dye. But even if i found it i would have to replace the piping...not sure if thats worth it for a month or less of AC driving.
    It might be worth it for that 1 month AC plus 6 or so defogging, depends.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    It might be worth it for that 1 month AC plus 6 or so defogging, depends.
    Defogging, hahah, I live in the Northeast. It will be under 50 degrees and maybe snowing in a month or so.

I Support ClubWRX
    Aha, I see.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Aha, I see.
    I wish i lived in SoCal. So nice, warm, sunny and then you can just drive to go skiing if you want.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by D0WNxSH1FT View Post
    I wish i lived in SoCal. So nice, warm, sunny and then you can just drive to go skiing if you want.
    The grass is always greener on the other side as they say... It has its ups and downs over here too. 47C the other day. The sun can melt metal sometimes down here...

um i would suggest fixing it. if there is a refrigerant leak and you have no refrigerant in the system you are letting moisture and "contaminates" into your a/c system. to get rid of the contaminates you have to change out the refrigerant oil. if you dont you will be buying a compressor... and if you heard it hissing it probably isnt a small leak...
    good luck.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.