Check Engine Light On, Runs OK but Shaky

This is a discussion on Check Engine Light On, Runs OK but Shaky within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi. UPDATE. I hooked the car up to a friends OBD reader and it said P0302 and P0302 PD. Cylinder ...

Check Engine Light On, Runs OK but Shaky

Hi.

UPDATE. I hooked the car up to a friends OBD reader and it said P0302 and P0302 PD. Cylinder 2 misfire. Sounds scary but some quick searches lead to believe it could just be a spark plug or wire. Anyone been down this road?

Original msg follows:

I have a 2002 WRX wagon that I seldom drive. The last time I tried to drive it the Check Engine Light was flashing. It sometimes stops for a bit, then starts again. But it seems like it stops when I hit the brakes, not because it is counting out a number. I tried to see if it was counting out a service code or something but it gets up over 60 so I gave up.

Idling in park/neutral produces a slight tremble in the car that builds to a slight rocking even. While moving it runs OK, but always has a bit of tremble.

If it helps, it's a 2002 WRX wagon and stock except for a slightly modded airbox and a K&N. I also put in a slightly bigger hose coupling between the waste gate and solenoid. Car has about 49,000 miles.

I'm hoping it's just a bad MAF sensor or something similar. Tonight I took a quick minute and cleaned any big debris out of the K&N. In my old GTi, K&Ns were notorious for clogging MAF sensors. Hoping it's something similar here.

Thanks in advance for any insights. And if there's a trick to reading a service code let me know. After work settles down I'll do some research. But if anyone can save me some time here it would be cool.

Tony
    Last edited by abiggs; 08-27-2007 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Update

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Car is fixed

I got brave and decided to try to swap the plugs as a test. The FAQ was very helpful and made it super easy. 90 minutes later the car is perfect again. Tony