Dash Lights
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Dash Lights within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have had my 04 WRX since January and have become a big fan of the car since then. When ...

Dash Lights

I have had my 04 WRX since January and have become a big fan of the car since then. When I purchased the car the fuel gage was broken (dead needle). I took the car to my dealer to get this fixed and they replaced the sending unit at the fuel tank and the receiving unit in the dash. After the fix the illumination bulb behind the fuel/temp gage was out, either from mechanic neglect to plug the bulb back in or it burnt out. I took the car back and had the bulb replaced with what turns out to be a different color bulb. Originally all the dash lighting was red, but the replacement bulb is a green color commonly found on other cars. The dealer took note of the red bulb and tried to find an exact replacement but their system only showed the single green hued bulb I have in there now. I thought that all WRX dash lighting was red, so I am confused that the folks at Subaru could only find a green bulb to put in. I am almost certain that this is a dealer mistake because ALL of my dash lighting is red (stereo, boost gage, etc.) Does anyone have a part number for me to look for? The color mismatch is a bit annoying and I would like to change the bulb myself if I can find the correct bulb and the repair is easy. I have checked online but with no luck.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I don't know if all 04's were green, but mine is. Maybe the previous owner changed to red bulbs? If they're part# 194 bulbs (little wedge bulbs), you can get red replacement ones at Auto Zone, Advance Auto, or pretty much any parts store. I just don't know off hand what kind of bulbs it takes.

I Support ClubWRX
    The WRX has green bulbs, the STI has red.
    -AJ | Hawk-Eye Alliance #55 | Stink-Eye Mob #1
    NASIOC - Narcissistic, Arrogant, Self Involved, Oligarchy of Cryptorchidisms

2011 Chevy Camaro SS RS Package & 2011 Honda Pilot
    Used to have: Protune Stage 2 2010 Subaru WRX
    Used to have: Stage 4 2006 Subaru WRX

Add me to Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by azWRX06 View Post
    The WRX has green bulbs, the STI has red.
    Is it just a bulb on the 06+ WRX's? Can it be replaced with a different color, or is it an LED in those models?

I Support ClubWRX
    I am not certain as to the hardware used. All I know it the color was traditionally been green on the WRX and red on the STI. I have a digital copy of the 04 repair manual I snagged off the net some time back. I can check tonight and see what it says.
    -AJ | Hawk-Eye Alliance #55 | Stink-Eye Mob #1
    NASIOC - Narcissistic, Arrogant, Self Involved, Oligarchy of Cryptorchidisms

2011 Chevy Camaro SS RS Package & 2011 Honda Pilot
    Used to have: Protune Stage 2 2010 Subaru WRX
    Used to have: Stage 4 2006 Subaru WRX

Add me to Facebook

That sounds correct; STI red, WRX green. I would think that the STI lights should fit my car. I might look into getting those to get my dash back to one color.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.