How I Shift

This is a discussion on How I Shift within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; A friend pointed this out to me the other day. Apparently I drive incorrectly! When driving around town on a ...

How I Shift

A friend pointed this out to me the other day. Apparently I drive incorrectly!

When driving around town on a dreary day with no purpose to be anywhere, I was going w/o the boost even kicking in, and shifting w/o using the clutch! My buddy pointed it out and said he never did that and didn't think it was good for the car. My perception of the clutch is a disengagement of the main drive shaft in the tranny from the gear shaft to match speeds before completing the shift. I would use the clutch to get going in first, get going to 2500, let off the gas and pull the shifter back and put it in second w/o touching the clutch. I always when driving normal pull it out of 6th w/o the clutch. Sometimes it requires a light blip of the throttle, depending on speed. But all gear shifts work the same, pull lazy to 3000 rpm, let off, shift out and in. If I wait too long and the rpms drop it wont go in. Theres a certain catch point. If I miss it (hard too) a small blip of the throttle gets it back in. Theres no grinding sound, just the smooth shift into gear. I can do it on a down shift too with a little throttle blip. Is he wrong, or me?
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
    2001 Toyota Celica GT-S

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

the clutch is there for a reason, so use it
    Blobeye Syndicate #75
    2005 OBP WRX Sport Wagon
    Stewart Warner Boost & Oil temp gauges / OEM 20 mm rear bar
    Cobb stg 2 / STi uppipe / Crucial Racing downpipe
    Stromung 2.5" catless centerpipe / Scooby Sport New Age centre pipe & backbox

You are technically rev matching on the downshifts, but frankly why would you risk damaging your gears b/c you are too lazy to use the clutch?

Just use it.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

i can do that also. never done it to my wrx but learned to do it on my 80' wagon. I would only recommend it if you are trying to get that last little bit out of the clutch before replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by D0WNxSH1FT View Post
    You are technically rev matching on the downshifts, but frankly why would you risk damaging your gears b/c you are too lazy to use the clutch?

Just use it.
    +1
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

So, after reading some of the threads by the op, he doesn't use the clutch, cruises around in 6th gear at all speeds, lugs the engine horribly, and is wondering why the differential is making popping sounds...

Just drive normally. Use the clutch, and select the correct gear for the speed.

My work truck is a freightliner and I never touch the clutch unless I am stopped or taking off. In my wrx I always use the clutch, I don't want to risk it.
    New England F4
    Bugeye Mafia
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500
    03 Subaru WRX (SOLD)
    01 CBR 929 (SOLD)
    Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    nothing funny about stubble on the man-marbles.

have fun with rebiulding your gearbox in a few.