Hesitation?

This is a discussion on Hesitation? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Help, I have a 02 WRX with an APS 35 turbo, bigger top-mount intercooler, new engine in December, mostly stock ...

Hesitation?

Help,
    I have a 02 WRX with an APS 35 turbo, bigger top-mount intercooler, new engine in December, mostly stock stuff....

The car is slow at low RPMs (slower than usual), its normal at mid and high end.....also I noticed some smoke coming out of the engine when the blow off valve releases.....sometimes it smells really bad like gas, but that might not be related? Also, at idle the engine shakes back and forth enough to make the car wiggle........

thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by evilenv View Post
    Help,
    I have a 02 WRX with an APS 35 turbo, bigger top-mount intercooler, new engine in December, mostly stock stuff....

The car is slow at low RPMs (slower than usual), its normal at mid and high end.....also I noticed some smoke coming out of the engine when the blow off valve releases.....sometimes it smells really bad like gas, but that might not be related? Also, at idle the engine shakes back and forth enough to make the car wiggle........

thanks in advance
    bigger turbo bigger lag..you might wanna get new engine and tranny mount, one of my friend messed up his tranny cuz of all the vibration(i think his dp was hitting the tranny), he had ****loads of stuffs done to it too. smoke might be from heat wrap if you have one for the dp, and catless make it smell more like gas, lastly for the ideal issue adjust you BOV

any cels? the lack of power would probally be from the larger turbo... what are you running for engine manegement?
    07 white STi in CT

no CEL...I bought the car already modded and I've had it over 2 and a half years and it's always had this turbo and it's more than just lag, it's something else....it's really slow off the line, worse than a hyundai

I will check the engine and tranny mounts...the downpipe does touch the transmission a little bit, but no heat wrap

I've checked the fuel pressure and it's within specs, I think I'm going to check for any air leaks and also pull my plugs to see if there's anything else unusual.....if you guys have any other suggestions it could be helpful

definitely check the spark plugs and coils, my next guess would be injectors and fuel pump maybe fuel filter

i say u need a retune

also the hot summer equals more heat soak wich equals less power
    with the aps35 u should have a fmic imo
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

Thanks everyone....I'll keep this updated with what I find.....I know it's hot, but the car has lost more power than that, it's obvious when I drive

the factory service manual lists the fuel pump as a possible cause for the smell also.....pressure tested good, but it might be intermitent

a FMIC would be nice, but I dont want to cut my bumper out....the wife has to drive this car, hehe