Blown Turbo from oil leak
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Blown Turbo from oil leak within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So, I blew my turbo. Dropped it off at subaru, thank god for the extended warranty. Unfortunately, The Tech at ...

Blown Turbo from oil leak

So,

I blew my turbo.

Dropped it off at subaru, thank god for the extended warranty. Unfortunately, The Tech at subaru told me the turbo blew due to low oil in the car.. He said it was down almost 3 qts. Thus, not lubricating the turbo and causing the turbo to blow.

I get oil changes religiously every 3,000... Is my warranty going to be screwed due to an oil leak?

I called my friend who is a service writer who handles my car everytime I take my car in.. And she's faxing me my service records. Ill fax those to subaru to support my claim, I just don't want to have to pay 2,000 for a new turbo.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

First of all, don't pay $2,000 for a new turbo. You can get a used TD04 for $150 to $200 with low miles. Secondly, you get all of your oil changes at Subaru? If so, I can't imagine that car being down 3 quarts in less than 3,000 miles without some sort of major problem. That mechanic could be blowing smoke up your rear. Doesn't sound right all the way aruond.
    2006 WRX WRB Wagon
    Stage 2 Cobb catless DP and Borla Hush CBE
    *Total Loss*

yeah, **** the turbo. You can pick up another one of those for next to nothing, tell the tech to do his job and find out why your motor is burning 3 quarts in 3k miles.

Per the tech at subaru,

The Impreza WRX burns aprox 1 qt of oil per 1000 miles driven. Which to me, sounds like a crock of s***.

As it stands right now, Subaru charged me $475 to tear the car down, remove the turbo and inspect it. We debated back and forth wether I should call the tech, tell him to screw him self, tow the car back to a friends and fix it my self.

Called subaru's parts department, and a turbo, plus the hoses and other " stuff " needed would come out to close to $1000 anyway..

Long story short, the union bank of grand parents are going to help me out, which takes 1000 lbs off my shoulder. I just have to pay them back now.

So,

I got my car back from Subaru friday.. And its only boosting 5 lbs.. instead of 10 stock. Going to drop it back off at lunch today, but I can't for the life of me figure out why I'm only boosting 5 lbs. Brand new turbo and waist gate.. Im thinking the waistgate isnt opening all the way? The turbo only has 200 miles on it. ( needed the car over the weekend ).

i thought they ran 13.5 psi stock?? anyways, a blown turbo can shoot oil straight out the exhaust. did the mechanic ever think of that?

Nope..

He said he couldnt find an oil leak anywhere, yet the car was burning oil? Easy care wouldnt touch my car, since subaru said that I never change my oil. I faxed them my service slips, stating that I have had an oil change every 3000 ( plus or minus 100 miles ) for the last year. *sigh*

Car is going back at lunch today.. I just hope they give me a rental car.. i can't not have a car.

$1313,96 later, I have a brand new turbo, and only boosting 5lbs.

I wouldn't have paid for anything like that. I would have demanded some form of mediation, because that's a bunch of crap unless you're not telling us the entire story. Also, you need to immediately find a dealer that actually knows how to service cars, because this one has it's head in the sand.

/end of advice
    2006 WRX WRB Wagon
    Stage 2 Cobb catless DP and Borla Hush CBE
    *Total Loss*

Cars running fine.. now.

I went home at lunch, pop'd the hood and took off the battery cable, pumped the breaks a few times went inside. Came back out about an hour later, pluged the batter back in, started it up.. 10 lbs.. just fine!

Guess all I had to do is reset the ECU.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.