missfire and compression way off.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on missfire and compression way off. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi,i have a 2001 wrx that is a little poorly.To give a little background the car has a stage one ...

missfire and compression way off.

Hi,i have a 2001 wrx that is a little poorly.To give a little background the car has a stage one upgrade to 285 bhp by means of the following;
    straight through 3inch exhaust,
    255 fuel pump,
    boost controller,(set at one bar)
    APS air filter,
    APS intercooler piping,
    UNI CHIP piggy back ecu,
    The car has been running very well for about three years,(since upgrade) but now keeps throwing up cel 304 (missfire on cyl 4 ).It was starting to be hesitent and a little rough.I have not noticed any major power loss although when running rough its hard to tell.It has since been to a garage to diagnose the problem and after a morning and a 170 pounds later they have told me that after a compression test things are not good.! The test results were cyl 1 & 3 @ 155 & 158 and 2 & 4 were 100 & 85 The garage said this is not good and they should all be roughly the same .They now say they will check timing but i dont know if thats right or not. HELP.
    Any of you techs out there with any ideas,either on possible causes and or what to do next please feel free to reply.Thanks.
    Last edited by llwrx; 08-22-2007 at 10:54 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

thats not good. my old engine, cylinder 4 was really low compared to the other cylinders. a few weeks later, bye bye engine. could be that you have a bad piston ring or something
    SOCAL F4#02 OG member

2002 PSM WRX stage 6
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R

IBdeadheadgasket

Edit: a second opinion never really hurts
    Last edited by ScoobVee; 08-22-2007 at 05:42 AM.
    - Local Riceist

timing belt is supposed to be done at 105k. hopefully it was done...
    07 white STi in CT

I'll tenatively concur with the head gasket guess. That'll be spendy, if that's the case, especially with a shop that's charging 170 just to check your compression.

I assume you don't have the tools/knowhow to do any work yourself? Normally I'd recommend tearing it down to the timing belt to take a quick peek, make sure you didn't somehow jump a tooth. But that would take about twice as long as checking compression, so I'd hate to think what you'd spend to have that done.

Er, well, then again... they've got to do that much to replace the head gasket. So maybe they could get that far, and if the timing is okay, they could keep going.

Good luck, man.
    2002 WRX Sedan - 2000 Mazda Miata
    Do us all a favor: work on learning how to drive your car before adding more power. Pretty please.

Cheers for reply autoXjunkie.I do have some know how but my joinery business isnt allowing the time and i am not sure i could go to the lengths of a full rebuild.!!The most i have managed is a clutch on an opel manta which involves drive shaft and geerbox removal.Any way i have got to wait til tuesday to have any idea how screwed rex is.!Will update then and thanks for everyones responses.

compression way off equals piston cracked

Hi, just updating for those who are interested .My last post was headed missfire and compression way off.I have since had the engine stripped down and found two cracked pistons which is not good.They say my uni chip is the problem and it was down to this that damaged the pistons , maybe due to detonation .I am having forged pistons put back in and putting the uni chip in the sh***er.I will then have it remapped using ecutek as this will retain my knock sensor and be alot more reliable.Now all i have to do is wait for my scooby to be brought back to and beyond its former glory , oh yes and pay the 2.5k its going to cost.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.