No Fuel Pump Noise.??? Wont Start :(
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on No Fuel Pump Noise.??? Wont Start :( within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; (Re-Posted) I am certainly in need of some Knowledge, Guys i got to be the most Noobish guy on this ...

Wink No Fuel Pump Noise.??? Wont Start :(

(Re-Posted)

I am certainly in need of some Knowledge,

Guys i got to be the most Noobish guy on this site (maybe) I've just
    found and imported a WRX Subaru from Japan, My Car:

http://www.solveit-uk.com/imports/subaru-v-limited

You can see from the pictures exactly what is has installed/fitted.
    I got this June 13th i think it was, within 2wks it was on the road and i've had a CAT2 immobiliser fitted, It's given me no problems at all what so ever starting, running ect.

Yesterday i borrowed it my ex partner to get to work (no worries she's a very safe and competent driver) but she rang me in the morn "it wont start, it wont start" she says, then i go off my head a touch whilst having to get out of bed, get dressed and go get and sort my car out (not had much sleep)
    5 mins later "it's started now, it's ok" she says, Now i know at this point my baby's ok i can go off my head at being woke up and give her a piece of my mind (had a wash u see so there's no going back to sleep now)
    Any hows, work finishes she brings it home and i get in to go pick up the ass burner (madras curry) thought but not sure if the fuel pump struggled a bit winding up.? any hows gets to curry house comes out and that's why im here now......... It would not start, my oh my oh my, i have no patience i got to stress this, im the guy in the advert who parks his car well away from danger but still gets hit lol any hows i noticed no Fuel Pump noise on the turn of the ignition.? well i know thats defiantly the reason for not starting so how to fix.?

I was just going to put a direct test on the pump to see if it fires up and if not then i was going to volt test the incoming wires to the pump to see if there's any current when ignition is turned on, is that a good thing to start with or useless.?
    If the pump didn't fire up and there's a current coming to it then i know replacing the Pump would fix the problem. If the pump fires up but no current is going through on turn of key then i'd go check and hopefully find a broken fuse (a re-check as checked them once in dark, all seemed fine but need to do it in daytime) Anything past that im knackered.?????

Doing these tests in a bit but any help on this problem with this model would be appreciated.

================================================== =====

Just checked the Re-Lay (if i got the right thing.?) SBF 5 is it.?
    and i think its fine, doesn't look broken and i swapped it with another just to test - still no wind up on the fuel pump. Fuses (as blured as the picture is sry) in the car are all fine.

Going to check the fuel pump itself and the power supply leading to it now but is this looking like a fuel pump failure.? And am i right in looking under the back seat for this fuel pump.?

Enough blabbing, off i go to test.!!

================================================== ================

Just had the back seats up and cant see a fuel pump.?
    Last edited by Solveit-UK; 08-21-2007 at 04:54 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

good call with the fresh post... sounds like a dying fuel pump so you're right on by checking voltage at the pump. on the late model 02+ impreza's the fuel pump is under an access cover under passenger-side rear seat. the access cover is oval shaped with 4 screws holding it down. it should have full battery voltage and every key-up for about 2 seconds, then full battery voltage whenever you're cranking. since this is a new car to you, do you know when the fuel filter was changed? if it's dirty enough it could be the cause of your possible dead fuel pump, and will definitely kill any future fuel pump if left dirty.

this is from my wagon, but it's in the same place as sedans. your seats don't fold down nice and easy though
    Blobeye Syndicate #75
    2005 OBP WRX Sport Wagon
    Stewart Warner Boost & Oil temp gauges / OEM 20 mm rear bar
    Cobb stg 2 / STi uppipe / Crucial Racing downpipe
    Stromung 2.5" catless centerpipe / Scooby Sport New Age centre pipe & backbox

Thumbs up

Mines a 96 model WRX.
    I'll go check soon when rains stopped though to see if its in the same place though.

That's what im missing, the pump kicking in when the ignition is turned on but not so far as to start the car. It's just stopped working

So is there 2 terminals on the pump that i can connect + & - too so i can test it.?

Here's where i got it from in Japan, give you some more details about the exact car it is:

http://www.gcar.co.jp/gbtrader/1stoc...aru_v_limited/

Hope the link works.!!

Thanks for the reply.

================================================== =================

Been in boot to test the pump but theres a block connector going into it that has 4 wires.
    2 blacks a blue and a blue green i think it was.? hmm how do i test that.?

Last edited by Solveit-UK; 08-18-2007 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Added Info

Quote Originally Posted by Solveit-UK View Post
    Been in boot to test the pump but theres a block connector going into it that has 4 wires.
    nice to see they haven't changed much of anything i'm not a fan of guessing, so you'll have to find a wiring diagram of the '96 system (my '05 doesn't match those colors...) or you can test them all. the black i assume are grounds, but the others could be anything. since there's only 2 non-black wires they're probably for the fuel pump and fuel level sensor. check em with a DMM and post back.
    Blobeye Syndicate #75
    2005 OBP WRX Sport Wagon

:QUOTE=Solveit-UK;2033379]Mines a 96 model WRX.
    I'll go check soon when rains stopped though to see if its in the same place though.

That's what im missing, the pump kicking in when the ignition is turned on but not so far as to start the car. It's just stopped working

So is there 2 terminals on the pump that i can connect + & - too so i can test it.?

Here's where i got it from in Japan, give you some more details about the exact car it is:

http://www.gcar.co.jp/gbtrader/1stoc...aru_v_limited/

Hope the link works.!!

Thanks for the reply.

================================================== =================

[/QUOTE]

ok so theres a fuel pump and a sub level sensor on the other side of the tank...pull the other cover off see what color the wire to that are...they should match 2 of the ones at the fuel pump it works in series...the other 2 that dont match will be the ones to test...you would need to test from there to the ecu..i believe the blue and one of the blacks is for the sub level sensor but im not sure of it so check..both blacks are grounds. blue and blue green are powers...u need to test both at the pump and test at the sub level sensor also since it is a series circuit..if you dont have power at those at start up you have a power supply prob and good luck with that...im not gonna type out a novel of the procedure to test the entire circuit its way too much..but the pumps are slightly comon to go.. u can also feed power to the power lines to the fuel pump and see if it kicks on...if it does then u have a prob somewhere in the circuit.. wires/connector/fuse/relay/ecu even...if not throw a pump in it and your good..good luck
    New England F4

feel free to pm me with any questions..

isn't the other side a "jet pump"? it just uses the pressure of the returning fuel to transfer fuel to the main electric pump... or did subaru use two electric fuel pumps in the '90s?
    Blobeye Syndicate #75
    2005 OBP WRX Sport Wagon

OK...

The 2 wires on the left side of the boot going to the sub level sensor you say.? are different than the 1's coming off the fuel pump.?

I've got the pump out and tested it, got nothing what so ever, not a bugs d**k. so that was my best wish come true (hopefully simple replacement job) got a pump coming to me also.

I may just have another problem though,
    I also (before taking the pump out) tested the power going to the pump
    when the ignition was turned on and only got 4.5v.? This should be 12v if
    im keeping up with the posts. But im told that until the ECU determines it
    has a working pump to send 12v to it will send a lesser voltage instead, is
    this true or does it sound like i have a problem elsewhere also.?

Appreciate the reply, thanks guys.!!

how did you test the pump? here's to hoping it's the pump, that's a nice easy fix the 4.5V is different... where were you hooked up to test power to the pump? i don't know of the PCM checking the pump status before sending full B+, but i do know that on the late model imprezas there is a fuel pump module (probably stolen from Ford ) that provides varying levels of V to the pump. at initial key-up it always gets full B+ though, only after during light-load cruising does the module limit the V available.
    Last edited by 68sprintb; 08-21-2007 at 04:10 AM.
    Blobeye Syndicate #75
    2005 OBP WRX Sport Wagon

Smile

To test the pump i took it to the front of my car and used the battery Just connected it straight to the black and red connectors on the pump itself.

I take up too much space, my neighbs struggle turning rnd lol. both cars and my wrks van

Last edited by Solveit-UK; 08-21-2007 at 05:27 AM.

Thumbs up Fixed :)

At the end of the day it turned out to be a Faulty Fuel Pump.
    I got my new (ebay) Fuel Pump but before testing that1 i re-tested my old 1 just out of curiosity and low and behold it fired up, obviously on it's way out
    as it didn't do anything when last tested. Tested my new1 and worked fine,
    fitted it and my baby stated 1st time as usual.

Thing to remember is that when i tested for 12v to the pump on ignition
    key turn i only got 4.5v so obviously the ECU or something realised it was a
    Faulty Pump and reduced the power supply to it. So Test your pump FIRST
    before you assume there's a Problem elsewhere.

Off to read the rest of the post's now on other subjects, im wanting to
    mod my scooby but not silly mod's, i want a reliable car not 1 thats off the road more than it's on

Maybe Air Filter for a start, What would an HKS Air Filter do for me both
    BHP wise and noise to the neighbours.?

RUSH STOP ..... Got to get to chemist, man... tooth aches a bummer,
    Argggghhhhh.

Cheers & l8rzzz Guys,

did you check the voltage to the pump after it was changed? how much gas was in the tank when you took that voltage reading? i'm curious about the 4.5V to the pump and PCM "knowing" it was a bad pump...
    Blobeye Syndicate #75
    2005 OBP WRX Sport Wagon

No i didn't check it after the new 1 was fitted....

Reason being if it only sent the correct voltage when a good pump is
    connected then it wouldn't be connected if i unplugged it then tested it if you get me.?

I could be wrong, but the fact its working now and that it was 4.5v when
    tested im only guessing that the ECU or something else is regulating the
    power to it.? I'm only presuming this because I've read some posts in here
    that say the pump receives a 12v supply NOT 4.5v.

Petrol/Gas in the tank, for what relevance that would be i think there
    was around 7Ltrs.!!

One can only presume :/

Solvey.!!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.