Car won't start
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Car won't start within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Okay, I'm pretty sure its my Starter/solenoid, but i want to hear what you guys got to say. I have ...

Car won't start

Okay, I'm pretty sure its my Starter/solenoid, but i want to hear what you guys got to say. I have an 02 wrx listed mods are in my sig. i have about 68k miles.

Anyways When I go to start my car, I hear the solenoid click but it doesn't engage. Like i have not enough voltage/amps in my battery. But i checked my battery with a multimeter and load tested good.

Now get this. If I keep trying to start it, eventually it will start. Each time random, maybe the second try maybe the 30th try. My friend said it might also be my fuel relay. but I think the relay would go bad period not on the fritz

Any help please

Thanks ahead of time
    02' WRX OSECUROM STG 2 93OCT on 91OCT map -13.708 SEC / 097.84 MPH / 1.86 60 ft @ No Problem Raceway

02' WRX OSECUROM STG 2.5 93OCT- 12.9 SEC @ No Problem Raceway
    Mods

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by hakira View Post
    Okay, I'm pretty sure its my Starter/solenoid, but i want to hear what you guys got to say. I have an 02 wrx listed mods are in my sig. i have about 68k miles.

Anyways When I go to start my car, I hear the solenoid click but it doesn't engage. Like i have not enough voltage/amps in my battery. But i checked my battery with a multimeter and load tested good.

Now get this. If I keep trying to start it, eventually it will start. Each time random, maybe the second try maybe the 30th try. My friend said it might also be my fuel relay. but I think the relay would go bad period not on the fritz

Any help please

Thanks ahead of time
    It could be a tooth ground off on the starter. And when the starter ends up on that tooth it's having trouble engaging the fly wheel.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

borrow a fuel pressure gauge from autozone and test fp. you have to splice into the line after the filter. static is 40ish i think?
    07 white STi in CT

Quote Originally Posted by hakira View Post

Any help please

next time it happens take a pipe of some sort and give the starter a good tap/wack..its on the top left side of the back of the engine...if it starts theres your problem..and its not a fuel relay....i could say its 99% likely its the starter...
    Thanks ahead of time
    next time it happens take a pipe of some sort and give the starter a good tap/wack..its on the top left side of the back of the engine...if it starts theres your problem..and its not a fuel relay....i could say its 99% likely its the starter...
    New England F4

feel free to pm me with any questions..

Missing teeth would make the starter just spin till it finds a tooth or grind either or. Know that from working on HMMWV.

I'll try the tapping the starter totally forgot about that trick.

Thanks guys for the input
    02' WRX OSECUROM STG 2 93OCT on 91OCT map -13.708 SEC / 097.84 MPH / 1.86 60 ft @ No Problem Raceway

Mods

The darn battery terminals have gotten me so many times!!!

take off the terminals, sandpaper it and reconnect them as tight as possible!

might not be it but its an easy check and its gotten me and alot of people i know many a times.
    Bugeye Mafia #125 - And Proud Of It!

so i'm back and totally fugging baffled.

I put in a new starter .... and it does the same thing.

Could it be the Main relay or the ignition switch?

Mods

ODJ
    Just to be able to narrow things down a bit...can you hear the fuel pump running every time you turn the key to the ON position (before you try to start the car)?

You'll only hear it run for a few seconds, but if it sounds OK then at least you can rule it out.
    UNSPOILT BY PROGRESS

I Support ClubWRX
    Did you ever clean the battery terminals (see above post)? I don't quite trust that the car is getting enough current honestly. If you can check the leads and terminals and even borrow another battery (I know it tested OK) you might get the car starting again. If it's a truly intermittent problem it could be a contact or a connector somewhere.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

rule out the starter/solenoid, fuel pump, battery/terminals, wires to starter/battery.

All is new or cleaned.

Mods

Damn dude! It sounds like you've covered everything related to starting the car... you better hope that clicking sound you hear isn't the motor being locked up... you might want to look into that just to make sure...Its an easy thing to check that will make you feel a whole lot better real fast....or a lot worse i guess... anyway.. you might want to make sure the motor will turn over.
    Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
    Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.

^ thats the thing... my car starts

Just it has it moments were it won't start. It'll go click and the starter won't turn it.

do it again and it might start or the 3rd time etc. My friend was saying the samething that it might be my engine is seizeing up like my main bearing.

Only thing that is left the engine seizing, bad main relay, and/or bad ignition switch.

I guess I'll start with the cheapest

Mods

I Support ClubWRX
    I still recommend borrowing a battery.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.