Just Bought 2002 WRX. Have some Questions

This is a discussion on Just Bought 2002 WRX. Have some Questions within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just bought an 02 wrx with 78k on it. The cars has obviously been taken care of, and is ...

Just Bought 2002 WRX. Have some Questions

I just bought an 02 wrx with 78k on it. The cars has obviously been taken care of, and is in almost perfect shape. Anyway, it has aerospeed 18" wheels on it with 235/40/18's. It is 100% stock and the guy that owned it before me bought it because he just had a kid and wanted an all-wheel drive car that was a four door. Never touched it other than rims.

Anyway, it pulls hard, but not quite as hard as my buddies wrx with 100k on it and stock rims. Tomorrow I'm going to hook up a cheap boost gauge (temporarily just to check the boost). I don't have any clue what vacuum line to tap into the check boost. When should my boost come on? When should I have max boost? (rpms)

I just want to make sure that nothing wrong with the car before the warranty is up.

Could the rims and larger tires make my wrx feel slower? I know they are slightly taller then stock tires. I just want to make sure its 100% before the warranty is up and before I do a Cobb stage II package.

Please let me know

and by the way it seems to start pulling around 3500 and feels like full boost around 4k... like i said before that is just feeling with no gauge.

Please help me out!!!

Jerod

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

yes, those rims are slowing your car down.

Get to stage 2, it's how the car should have been from the factory.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Still confused

Ok after driving it today it seems like after 6500 it falls off and loses power, however it is 100f here today.

I just want to know how I can tell if its up to par, without a dyno.

Please help me with this. What brand of Boost gauge should I get? Electric or mechanical?

do you think the wheels/tires and the heat are really effecting its performance that much?

Does anyone know exactly when boost should come on? when it should peak? and when power should drop off?

I've searched and can't find anything!

Quote Originally Posted by JSarv View Post
    Ok after driving it today it seems like after 6500 it falls off and loses power, however it is 100f here today.
    this is normal

Please help me with this. What brand of Boost gauge should I get? Electric or mechanical?
    i use an autometer mech gauge and is seems spot-on
    do you think the wheels/tires and the heat are really effecting its performance that much?
    taller tires lowers the effective gearing, so accelleration will be slower
    Does anyone know exactly when boost should come on?
    stock should start coming on around 3200 IIRC when it should peak?5500 and when power should drop off? drops off after 5500

kill those cats and expect boost to start coming on in the late 2's, full boost around 3, and drop of in the mid 6's

badass man.

You made me feel much better. I know the tires are taller, but only by .25-.6" which at most is a 2.5% decrease in gear ratio. Not a huge change. The tires are as wide as my X-Runners tires and hold the road better than any WRX I've ever drove. But just seem to slow it down.

What vac. line did you run your boost gauge into?

This is my first turbo car and I know what I want to do to it (as money comes in) but I want to make damn sure that its up to par before I spend a penny on it. The guy that owned it prior to me is 49 years old married with 2 kids, so I'm almost positive it hasn't been modded.

It seems to have good boost from 3500 to 4500 and hits hard right at 4500 all the way to 6500 and then falls on its face, but that is only by feeling.

Basically this week I want to purchase a Perrin Turbo inlet and some sort of Intake (ex. K&N, Perrin, or SPT) have not decided yet.

In a couple of weeks I want to purchase a Cobb v2

And in a couple of months I would like to purchase a Cobb catless uppipe and turbo back and go to stage II.

Also, I know older WRX's would not go into 1st moving at all, but I can (like ANY other car) put mine in first while rolling at a good speed. It doesn't feel ANYTHING like my friends 02 wrx that grinds going into first if the wind gives it a little blow while your trying to do it.

Think the trans may have been torn into???

If you still haven't done it yet then forget the intake, if you do some search you will see that they are bad for a WRX if only maybe 1-2 hp and some more noise from the intake. However the wheels are slowing you down becasue of the rotational mass is greater since they are bigger and maybe quite a bit heavier then the stock wheels, stock wheels are only 16.8 pounds and those 18s might be over 20 easy. Also if you go stg 2 like my car the boost should keep or only slightly taper to the 7k redline, definatley does not fall flat after 6500 with stg 2 like the stock ECU mapping.
    MY LUG NUTS NEED MORE TORQUE THAN YOUR HONDA MAKES!!!!

Cobb Stg 2 helix up/dp combo
    Kartboy short shifter

advice: make the uppipe and stage 1 reflash your first mod

2nd mod - Short Ram intake, either SPT or K&N (this is more noise than power/throttle response)

3rd mod - TBE and flash to stage 2

Yeah, that sounds like a stock WRX being driven on a hot day. It's normal.

You can tell by asking here, and I'm telling you it's normal.

Completely up to you, but I would recommend an Electric as I feel they are more accurate. GReddy was my choice. Do some research and decide what you like.

Dude, are you serious? Here's a real easy test. Take a stock WRX tire/rim, and one of your 18" tire/rim - put them side by side on a hill. Roll both of them 50 feet as fast as you can run. Tell me which one is easier to roll. Which is easier to stop? The added weight and contact patch of the larger tire is going to require more power to move. With breaking it's a battle between the extra weight, and the additional contact patch. Inertia is real. You're asking "why does it feel slower?", there is an obvious answer - "because it is slower." Those bigger tires will slow you down. If you are dead set on having a set of 18's, look for a lightweight forged set. They aren't cheap - and where I live and work they are likely to get stolen. This is why I still have the stock rims on my car.

Does anyone know exactly when boost should come on? when it should peak? and when power should drop off?

Search harder, it's been covered before. Even better, I think someone posted the answer above.
    Last edited by Micah; 08-24-2007 at 11:19 AM.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

No I absolutely hate! the 18's as they came with the car and were the only wheels with it. I have a buddy that has a set of bbs sti 17's but cant really afford them at the moment. He's holding em for me though!

anyway I put a perrin up-pipe on it today... What a *****!!!! is it strange that a nut was missing from one of the bolts through the top of the turbo to the down pipe? the one furthest to the passenger side that holds the bracket on... it almost looks like at one point the downpipe has been removed, however the exhaust looks like its always been on the car, just by the looks of the gaskets and flex joints. dont know? an old guy owned it before me so im not too worried about it.

the next thing im doing is a drop in filter with the after market elbow (looks like stock but does not have the resonator box). STI bbs. cobb tuner. dp? not sure which one quite yet and a borla hush cat back. Going catless for sure though.

Ill be happy with 225 at the wheels. just hate boost lag that is my primary goal right now is to rid the boost lag as much as possible without changing the turbo just yet.
    Maybe even a perrin header (heard they are worth every penny). maybe a JDM intake manifold? not sure yet just kicking around some ideas.