Question about oil change

This is a discussion on Question about oil change within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I own a 03 WRX and am coming up on 3000 miles and my first oil change. My dealer told ...

Question about oil change

I own a 03 WRX and am coming up on 3000 miles and my first oil change. My dealer told me when I bought the car not to use synthetic oil until closer to 10,000 miles. That sounded kinda odd to me because I have always run synthetic in my cars. I understand that you shouldn't when the car is brand new so the rings will seat, but after 3000 and a full break in bu 1500 they should be seated. Are there any adverse affects of switching to synthetic right now, and what do you recommend for the Suby.
    I claim no responsibility for unintentional offense.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

People have gone back and forth with credible arguments for both sides. I guess, much like how one chooses to break-in a car, this too, falls under your preference. If you don;t believe me, feel free to do a search.

I chose to wait till 10K miles.
    What's the incentive to change it early?

I didn't see any incentive to do it sooner versus the warnings of doing it too early. I have not heard from anyone in this club who has documented a negative affect from either approach.
    '02 Plat. Wagon, Manual

this is long...

Just to play devil's advocate, I present you with an argument to chang your oil to synthetic as soon as the first oil change:

The typically quoted engine break-in period is 1000 miles. This is more than enough time for the rings/bearings/seals/whatever to seat. Youre now at 3000, 3 times that mileage. Therefore, the issue of no synthetic while the parts are "mating" is null. (It was really null before, because Subaru (and pretty much every other car company that Im farmiliar with) breaks in its engines at the factory, before customers have a chance to screw them up. The only things that are really breaking in when you first get the car are the cats, suspention, and drivetrain parts, which are not effected by this conversation.

So, you dont need to worry about the break-in. So now you ask - why switch now if i dont need to? To this I reply - Why would you switch to synthetic oil at all? Because it has better lubrication, or better heat transfer properties? Or maybe because the additives and detergents are better? Ok, so if its better - why wait to switch? If youre going to get a benefit from a better oil - why wouldnt you want to start getting it as soon as possible?

As an aside to this argument I present you with my 1990 Eagle Talon TSI (AWD Turbo). I drove this car for 200,000 miles with the stock turbo boosting 16 psi. With all those miles - stock turbo with stock bearings and stock engine internals. Arguably because the previous owner began with synthetic oil at 3000 miles, and we both kept it at synthetic every 3000 miles at there. My Rex only has about 43k on it now - so far so good with 17psi - ill let you know how it goes....

Lastly, It seems to me that the only thing you save by not doing the changes for the first three oil changes is less than $20 per oil change. $60. Thats it. I spent $60 buying girls drinks at a bar last weekend and didnt even get any numbers, why shouldnt I take a shot at getting more life, and better performance from my engine for the same amount?

Im sure contrary arguments will ensue...

speed safely,

Joe
    merlin916@aol.com
    "Damn.... this car is wicked fast..." ~ My roomate, owner of a supercharged/intercooled 97 Trans AM
    Mods |