Does the service tech "Test Drive" your car after service?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Does the service tech "Test Drive" your car after service? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I don't allow this after I witnessed it myself. After my oil change the tech takes the car for a ...

Does the service tech "Test Drive" your car after service?

I don't allow this after I witnessed it myself.

After my oil change the tech takes the car for a 5+ minute test drive. WTF? I was in today and made them write "NO WASH-NO TEST DRIVE" on the service order. I doubt they take my wifes Outback for a test drive after an oil change.

I like having the dealership do the small things while I've got a warranty. Their fast and friendly here in Auburn,WA. Plus my car is too low for me to change it without ramps which I haven't purchased.
    Duplicolor, "Scratch Fix 2 in 1" Pewter met. #NG GM 490
    is a perfect match touch up paint for the stock (newer style) '05+ gun metal wheels.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

last time i brought my car to the dealeri had barely enough gas to make it home. then right after the service i decided to take it out for a test drive and when i got my car back there wasnt any gas left! i was like WTF?? next time ill do the same thing and write no test drive
    SOCAL F4#02 OG member

2002 PSM WRX stage 6
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R

I've worked at a private shop for the last 6 years. We test drive EVERY car that leaves our shop after we service it, no exceptions. This is done to ensure that the repair was completed successfuly and ensure the safety of the car after the repairs are done. We are liable for the safety of our customers - god forbid one of the techs does something incorrectly or stupid, causing the car to be unsafe - I'd rather be driving the car and be able to catch it and fix it before I give the keys to the owner.

I wouldn't work at a place that didn't test drive the cars, it's foolish not to.

Now, I can understand why you are upset, but the point of test driving is not to have fun in other people's cars, it is for the safety of our customers and to avoid unhappy customers (and lawsuits - it happens), should something not be right.

Sorry for your bad experiences, maybe you should go to a different dealer
    New England F4
    www.OddTopic.net - my pet project, come say hello!
    '02 BUGEYE
    "One's level of fear is directly proportional to their preparedness for it's source"
    -Me

DO A FRIGGIN SEARCH!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kush
    I've worked at a private shop for the last 6 years. We test drive EVERY car that leaves our shop after we service it, no exceptions. This is done to ensure that the repair was completed successfuly and ensure the safety of the car after the repairs are done. We are liable for the safety of our customers - god forbid one of the techs does something incorrectly or stupid, causing the car to be unsafe - I'd rather be driving the car and be able to catch it and fix it before I give the keys to the owner.

I wouldn't work at a place that didn't test drive the cars, it's foolish not to.

Now, I can understand why you are upset, but the point of test driving is not to have fun in other people's cars, it is for the safety of our customers and to avoid unhappy customers (and lawsuits - it happens), should something not be right.

Sorry for your bad experiences, maybe you should go to a different dealer
    We actually love our local dealership so far. Two years without complaint.

My wife has had her oil changed there as many times as I have and not once did they test drive it for an oil change. She dirves and Outback and I drive a WRX.

I had springs put on at Les Shwab and I understood why they test drove it.

Most mechanical repairs I can understand.

Oil changes...Require a test drive due to possible mechanical malfunction caused by drainig and refilling motor oil? You've got to be kidding!
    Duplicolor, "Scratch Fix 2 in 1" Pewter met. #NG GM 490
    is a perfect match touch up paint for the stock (newer style) '05+ gun metal wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Be
    Oil changes...Require a test drive due to possible mechanical malfunction caused by drainig and refilling motor oil? You've got to be kidding!
    Before I worked at the private shop I worked at Midway Chevrolet, one of the largest chevy dealers in arizona - you'd be surprised how many times entry-level techs (yes, noobs can service your car) forget to tighten the oil filter, or put the wrong amount of oil, or forget an o-ring or washer on the drain plug.

It's better to be safe than sorry. If I have a customer that expresses to me that they don't want me to drive their car around the block I won't do it - but they'll have to indemnify us for any damages too. I'd rather take the 5 minutes to make sure the car is safe - 99% of the time the customer appreciates it and is patient enough to wait 5 more minutes.
    New England F4
    '02 BUGEYE
    "One's level of fear is directly proportional to their preparedness for it's source"
    -Me

DO A FRIGGIN SEARCH!!!

for an oil change i wouldnt see why they have to test drive though, other things id understand but cmon an oil change?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Nine49Kid
    for an oil change i wouldnt see why they have to test drive though, other things id understand but cmon an oil change?
    Seriously.
    '06 wrx wr-blue

eh, every business runs itself differently I guess. That's just the way I've always done it so I figured that was standard practice.
    New England F4
    '02 BUGEYE
    -Me

DO A FRIGGIN SEARCH!!!

i dont go to subaru but i go to a great car repair place in town and they drive my car....................................from the bay to the loby area, and they ask me to drive the car if it needs to be road tested
    -05 CGM STi Blobeye Syndicate #4
    -97 Acura SLX totaled 231k
    -95 Toyota Land Cruiser

I would hope that most dealerships would not be taking the car out for a test drive just after an oil change. I have heard this excuse before. My father had a 944 Turbo back in the early 90's and had it in the shop for new brakes. The shop decided to take it out for a test drive.........on the freeway. To make a long story very short, they punched the gas lost control and got tboned by a semi at 65 MPH. How much heavy braking is there on the freeway??? The simple explanation is they went out for a joyride. I don't want the dealership to take my car out, thats my job. I expect them to be competent enough to do most repairs without wasting my gas.
    2005 WRB WRX Stage 2
    Blobeye Syndicate #76
    A Must Read http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...do-not-do.html

A test drive doesn't usually constitute going WOT on the freeway - doin one lap around the block probably uses about .001 gallon of gas, but sure, I hear ya.
    New England F4
    '02 BUGEYE
    -Me

DO A FRIGGIN SEARCH!!!

I Support ClubWRX
    brakes, clutchs, motors.....yeah some things I can understand having a tech (not a lot boy) drive my car for. But a flippin oil change....there is no reason why i cant pull my car into the bay, have them change it, and me drive it away. There is no logical reason to test drive after an oil change. Any leaks can be seen by having the tech bend over and look. A small puddle is indication of a leak, and on the drive you wont even notice if it's leaking slowly. Also how hard is it to check the oil after letting it idle for a few mins. This is all basic stuff here nothing that deserves a "test" drive.

I have little faith in other people in my car, heck I even told the guy "I dont need one of those stupid reminders on my windsheild...I can remeber 3,000 6,000 9,000 without a sticker telling me about it" Of course the first thing I had to do when I get in my car was take that sticker off.....oh and I checked my oil before leaving the lot
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

I'd be pretty upset if I find out the dealer test drove my car after a simple oil change. When I had the steering column replaced on my Jeep (under warranty) I was asked on the phone if the tech could go for a drive to test, and asked if I'd like to be there. I of course said "Yes and Yes." That's the level of service I'd like to see, and it speaks volumes about the confidence the shop had in the techs.
    In short: HLGBGUAHUGLABLAGUHGALGHAGHL
    Mods::Pics

Quote Originally Posted by kevlarcupid
    I'd be pretty upset if I find out the dealer test drove my car after a simple oil change. When I had the steering column replaced on my Jeep (under warranty) I was asked on the phone if the tech could go for a drive to test, and asked if I'd like to be there. I of course said "Yes and Yes." That's the level of service I'd like to see, and it speaks volumes about the confidence the shop had in the techs.
    I completely agree.

If the dealer is going to take a "test drive" to make sure everything is ok, then why can't they just ask you first. I would be a whole lot less suspicious of what the tech's (not lot boy-I'd be pissed if he did it) intentions were if i was asked before hand.
    COBBS!.....We got COBBS everywhere meng! COBBS, COBBS, COBBS!
    Blobeye Syndicate #2
    RYB - 01
    "RALLY ON"

Quote Originally Posted by StreetSlider
    Hellen Keller's favorite color is Blobeye Syndicate.

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi
    brakes, clutchs, motors.....yeah some things I can understand having a tech (not a lot boy) drive my car for. But a flippin oil change....there is no reason why i cant pull my car into the bay, have them change it, and me drive it away. There is no logical reason to test drive after an oil change. Any leaks can be seen by having the tech bend over and look. A small puddle is indication of a leak, and on the drive you wont even notice if it's leaking slowly. Also how hard is it to check the oil after letting it idle for a few mins. This is all basic stuff here nothing that deserves a "test" drive.

I have little faith in other people in my car, heck I even told the guy "I dont need one of those stupid reminders on my windsheild...I can remeber 3,000 6,000 9,000 without a sticker telling me about it" Of course the first thing I had to do when I get in my car was take that sticker off.....oh and I checked my oil before leaving the lot
    Right on 302. Besides the fact that you are 100% on the oil change test drive, even moreso it pisses me off when some dude has to move my seat (forward or back and the angle of the back!!!!!) to do such a thing!!! I understand if you are height deficient and need to help yourself out, but most guys are pretty close to my size. I used to valet when I was like 18, and had to drive the cars much further than any mechanic around the lot and i never touched a seat. When I drive my buddy's WRX for miles and miles at a time I don't even fudge w/ it!

Thankfully, it is spring and I can do my own oil because I don't trust anyone w/ it besides the local subie shop and I hate paying extra for a simple oil change.
    I love my car, don't you?

Mods

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast