Break in oil change
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Break in oil change within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Whats a good milage to get my first oil change. I have a 2005 WRX with 450 miles on it. ...

Break in oil change

Whats a good milage to get my first oil change. I have a 2005 WRX with 450 miles on it. I was planning on changing it at 1500. Is that good or just wait till the 3000.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User TheFugitiveMind's Avatar
    i changed my oil at 1000 and again at 3000

when i changed my oil the 1st time. you can see all the little metal shavings and what not...so yeah...

oh and if and when you do it your self...the 1st oil change is kinda tough because everything is tightened my a steriod induced gorilla ...i used a breaker bar for the oil pan...and i used some sandpaper wrapped around the oil filter.
    2006 Aspen White STi
    Stage 2 Open Source Road Tune
    A bunch of bushings from TiC

Quote Originally Posted by TheFugitiveMind
    everything is tightened my a steriod induced gorilla

There's a mental image for ya
    New England F4
    www.OddTopic.net - my pet project, come say hello!
    '02 BUGEYE
    "One's level of fear is directly proportional to their preparedness for it's source"
    -Me

DO A FRIGGIN SEARCH!!!

im changing at 1K also, but im switching to synthetic. Do you still recommend change again at 3?

I wanted to do it at 500 but never got around to it until 1,000. The dealership snickered and said that 4k was fine, but were glad to take my money. The first oil change is one of the most important preventative tasks you can take on a new car. Sooner the better.
    I change my oil every 4k no matter what!
    Duplicolor, "Scratch Fix 2 in 1" Pewter met. #NG GM 490
    is a perfect match touch up paint for the stock (newer style) '05+ gun metal wheels.

i bought my car from a subbie dealer with 3500 miles, and that's when the service was last done. now whether or not it was done at 1k miles, i couldn't tell ya. but the good thing about worknig at a dealer is that i change my oil every 1500 (3k for the filter) miles and have been ever since. I'm at 10.6k now.

i got mine changed at 2000 and its going back at 5000. also im changing to synthetic at 10k
    -05 CGM STi Blobeye Syndicate #4
    -97 Acura SLX totaled 231k
    -95 Toyota Land Cruiser

I just got my '06 over the weekend and I was wondering what type of synthetic everyone is putting in?? The Mobil 1 10w-30?? I'm looking at a road trip this weekend and an oil change when I return. Is going to synthetic so soon a good idea or should I use regular oil again until the 3k mark??

if you change your own oil, can that **** up the warantee?

I changed the oil in my new rex as soon as I got it home. Used a paint strainer to check for metal fabrication shavings and sure enough there were several spiral shavings (from a drilling tool). If you do the above there is no need to change the filter until your first 'real' oil change at 3 or 5 K.
    2007 urban gray STI. KTR Ecutek Re-Flash

Quote Originally Posted by soupsredline
    I just got my '06 over the weekend and I was wondering what type of synthetic everyone is putting in?? The Mobil 1 10w-30?? I'm looking at a road trip this weekend and an oil change when I return. Is going to synthetic so soon a good idea or should I use regular oil again until the 3k mark??
    I go with Mobil 1 because it is convinient Redline and Royal Purple are other favorites. I use 5w-30 when I think the majority of the temps will be sub 30s with possible sub 0 days and 10w-30 the rest of the year. Some people will say stick with dino oil for the first X000 miles. I looked and everything I saw said that with modern cars this doesn't really matter. The Evo ships with Mobil 1 in it if that make you feel any better about the switch.

Quote Originally Posted by geefunk
    if you change your own oil, can that **** up the warantee?
    If you mess up the oil change sure. If you do it correctly it will be obvious that oil starvation or break down didn't cause any engine issues. Keep your receipts.
    New England F4

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCJ99 View Post
    205 whp on a STOCK wrx??? I find that to be a bit hard to believe. My 2006 WRX ran 188 whp with Injen CAI, HKS BOV, HKS Downpipe and HKS carbon ti exhaust... How can a STOCK WRX run 205 whp??? I'd like to see dyno sheets to back that one up...

Quote Originally Posted by Trainable
    I go with Mobil 1 because it is convinient Redline and Royal Purple are other favorites. I use 5w-30 when I think the majority of the temps will be sub 30s with possible sub 0 days and 10w-30 the rest of the year. Some people will say stick with dino oil for the first X000 miles. I looked and everything I saw said that with modern cars this doesn't really matter. The Evo ships with Mobil 1 in it if that make you feel any better about the switch.
    I also use mobile one. I agree with trainable, if it was necessary to wait until X amount of miles to switch to synthetic then cars wouldn't come with mobile one from the factory. Porsche, corvette's, and evo's use synthetic mobile one straight from the factory. I don't believe the type of oil used for break in is a big deal. All of todays parts are made within such tight specs that it is rare to have to wear a part in.

I'll be picking me up a case of Mobil 1 on my way home from work today. And I realize that cars are coming with it from the factory, my last car did (Saturn Redline). I just wanted to make sure it was alright for this engine.

Quote Originally Posted by soupsredline
    I'll be picking me up a case of Mobil 1 on my way home from work today. And I realize that cars are coming with it from the factory, my last car did (Saturn Redline). I just wanted to make sure it was alright for this engine.
    My '05 WRX came with Quaker State (part) synthetic. The dealership claims that because of the turbo we need (part) synthetic motor oil. I don't know what percentage of synthetic/regular.
    Duplicolor, "Scratch Fix 2 in 1" Pewter met. #NG GM 490
    is a perfect match touch up paint for the stock (newer style) '05+ gun metal wheels.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Be
    My '05 WRX came with Quaker State (part) synthetic. The dealership claims that because of the turbo we need (part) synthetic motor oil. I don't know what percentage of synthetic/regular.
    That's BS. You can use regular or synthetic oil in your WRX without issue. Synthetic just offers the possibility of longer change intervals and probably better resistance to viscosity changes.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.