How often do you check your oil?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on How often do you check your oil? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I heard from the dealership that our turbos can eat as much as a quart a month. Mine is closer ...

How often do you check your oil?

I heard from the dealership that our turbos can eat as much as a quart a month. Mine is closer to a quart per 4,000 miles.
    Duplicolor, "Scratch Fix 2 in 1" Pewter met. #NG GM 490
    is a perfect match touch up paint for the stock (newer style) '05+ gun metal wheels.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yeah, I go through about a quart a month, good to know that's normal. I usually check it before any extended drive, or every couple of weeks if I'm just driving around town. Might be a bit anal, but better safe than sorry. It lets me look over all the other fluids at the same time so it's worth it for me.
    New England F4
    www.OddTopic.net - my pet project, come say hello!
    '02 BUGEYE
    "One's level of fear is directly proportional to their preparedness for it's source"
    -Me

DO A FRIGGIN SEARCH!!!

Registered User TheFugitiveMind's Avatar
    i check my oil about once ever couple of weeks. ive havent had ANY oil consumption issues so im happy *knock on wood*

I Support ClubWRX
    I still check my oil in both of my vehicle once a week. The SRT goes through maybe 1/2 quart in 3500 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Be
    I heard from the dealership that our turbos can eat as much as a quart a month. Mine is closer to a quart per 4,000 miles.
    I have to correct this...
    My '05 eats around a half quart every 4,000 miles.
    is a perfect match touch up paint for the stock (newer style) '05+ gun metal wheels.

I check it every gas stop when it's not raining, or covered pumps. I miss one stop here and there but hey it's still once a week. I use about 3/4 quart per change, which is usually 3000-3500 miles. I have 12k on my 05, so i guess i'm right about normal. Obviosuly it takes a bit more when you exercise it.
    New England F4
    If you're not shifting, you're just riding.

I totalled my WRX

Quote Originally Posted by silvewrx
    I check it every gas stop when it's not raining, or covered pumps. I miss one stop here and there but hey it's still once a week. I use about 3/4 quart per change, which is usually 3000-3500 miles. I have 12k on my 05, so i guess i'm right about normal. Obviosuly it takes a bit more when you exercise it.
    You check the oil at the gas pump?

Is it even cool enough to get an accurate reading?

Mine has to be bone cold to get an accurate reading.

I made the mistake of adding too much only once because I didn't let the car cool down enough. The reading didn't even show oil on the dipstick. Added a half a quart and I'm off the chart way over "Full"..

I check mine every 2-3 weeks.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

usually about every week to make sure everything is intact and all that good stuff.

Once a month, although I know I should do it more often, like every other week. No problems to speak of and I've never had to add more than 1/2 a quart at one time. 45,000mi
    I love my car, don't you?

Mods

Quote Originally Posted by Just Be
    You check the oil at the gas pump?

Is it even cool enough to get an accurate reading?

Mine has to be bone cold to get an accurate reading.

I made the mistake of adding too much only once because I didn't let the car cool down enough. The reading didn't even show oil on the dipstick. Added a half a quart and I'm off the chart way over "Full"..
    To get an accurate reading, it is supposed to be 'warm.' the manual actually states to warm it up, then stop it, wait 5-10mins(iirc). it usually takes 7 minutes or so to fill up and get a drink at the gas station, so when i come out after getting my change i check it, and i never have a problem.
    One question for you guys.....did anyone notice that the dipstick range from low to full(not the full hot dot) is ~200ml?????? in my past experience, most cars are ~1qt from low to high. I noticed when i checked it and it was on full ,then like 1200 miles later it was near low, then in suspect, i added little by little while warm, ran it and checked it.
    The last piece is one that's been discussed before, my manual says 4.2qts total, and from my experience it closer to 4.5-4.6 qts. Anyone else notice they dropped .6qts from the capacity, while changing nothing other than going to a slightly smaller oil filter? It seems the difference between a napa 1334 and a 1365 isn't nearly 1/2 a quart. Maybe they had windage problems or overfilling issues or something rediculous??????????
    New England F4
    If you're not shifting, you're just riding.

I totalled my WRX

Wow, I must be lucky b/c I have had virtually no oil use between changes in 33k miles and I drive this thing pretty agressively on the hwy.
    Must have been that break in period.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.